Bathroom Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bath is in an alcove and I would like to fit lights in the walls at each end of the bath. These would be about three feet above the bath and would be of the circular metal surface mounted type and suitable for use in Zone 1. I would plan to run them off a spur from the lighting circuit that already feeds the existing single light fitting in the room.

I also plan to add an illuminated mirror to the bathroom having an integral pull switch. I plan to run this off another spur off the lighting cicuit via an FCU mounted in the boarded loft space above the bathroom.

Can anyone see any problems so far? If not, my query is should the lights near the bath be protected by and RCD and where should it be fitted, bearing in mind at present I only have a Wylex CU with seven rewirable fuses and a 45amp cartridge fuse for the shower. Yes I know - that needs RCD protection too and I have some queries there, but will raise that as another thread for that.

Although the proposed bath lights have earth terminals in the metal casing do they need linking to the supplementary bonding within the bathroom?

Finally in the bathroom, is it ok to run a ducted shower fan and light off a spur from the ring main in the roof via an FCU in the roof space usung 1.5mm T&E?

Very finally I am aware of part P and will have all work inspected by a competent electrician on completion.

Sponsored Links
HandyAl said:
My bath is in an alcove and I would like to fit lights in the walls at each end of the bath. These would be about three feet above the bath and would be of the circular metal surface mounted type and suitable for use in Zone 1. I would plan to run them off a spur from the lighting circuit that already feeds the existing single light fitting in the room.

I also plan to add an illuminated mirror to the bathroom having an integral pull switch. I plan to run this off another spur off the lighting cicuit via an FCU mounted in the boarded loft space above the bathroom.
You shouldn't need an FCU if you're coming off a lighting circuit.

Can anyone see any problems so far? If not, my query is should the lights near the bath be protected by and RCD and where should it be fitted,
Yes - equipment in Zone 1 must be on a 30mA RCD. Somewhere logical and accessible is where it should be.

You really should give serious consideration to using SELV lighting in Zone 1....

Although the proposed bath lights have earth terminals in the metal casing do they need linking to the supplementary bonding within the bathroom?
Yes indeed, but isn't the cpc of the lighting circuit already connected to that???

Finally in the bathroom, is it ok to run a ducted shower fan and light off a spur from the ring main in the roof via an FCU in the roof space usung 1.5mm T&E?
It's OK-ish, subject to all the usual stuff about suitability of the item for the zone where it is. You need to think carefully about switching - don't have it controlled by a switch in the same enclosure as one for the other lights etc. And you must document what you've done lest some future occupant assumes that because it's a light in the bathroom it's on the lighting circuit. It would be much better if it was - why don't you do that?

Very finally I am aware of part P and will have all work inspected by a competent electrician on completion.
Part P requires that you notify Building Control in advance - they will tell you what needs to be done in terms of inspecting and testing, and what you propose may not satisfy them....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back