Bathroom extracter fan questions

S

Sombrero

Hi,

Fitting a fan in the bathroom, and aimed to take the feed from the ceiling light to the isolation switch. But realised today there’s an isolation switch for the immersion heater outside the bathroom, but the immersion was removed ages ago. So am i safe to use the feed from the consumer unit via this switch (i’ve bought a new double pole switch to be sure)? And then label it up as bathroom extractor in the consumer unit?

Also, i’m venting through the ceiling to the soffit, and the instructions talk about a condensation trap, but if i google those, the talk about vertical ducting, not flexible stuff...
Seeing as i’m going straight up about a foot, then down to the soffit, do i need to worry about condensation dripping back?

Thanks people

Sponsored Links
If you wish to use the old immersion supply, you would replace the switch for a 'fused spur' with a 3 amp fuse in it. In the bathroom the fan would need a pull switch alongside it to operate it.

Some fans have an overun facility. This means you turn the bathroom light on, and the fan comes on. When you turn off the light, the fan will keep running for n minutes. For this arrangement you would HAVE to connect to the lighting facility only.

Alternatively, humidistat models are available.

12 volt fans are used where the fan is close to the bath or shower.

Thanks Sparkwright, the model ive chosen is a humidistat with timer, and i don’t want a pull cord, just humidity controlled with overrun , or turned off for cleaning etc.

The switch i bought is a 13amp double pole switch... so need to go and change that for a 3 amp version!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Sparkwright, the model ive chosen is a humidistat with timer, and i don’t want a pull cord, just humidity controlled with overrun , or turned off for cleaning etc.

The switch i bought is a 13amp double pole switch... so need to go and change that for a 3 amp version!

A 13 amp switched double pole fused spur is absolutely correct, you remove the 13 amp fuse and replace with a 3 amp one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back