Bathroom extractor fan regs question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I just got a bathroom changed over through the social work as I couldn’t get in and out of the bath, so 2m square with shower in one corner and wc in the opposite corner with the wall fan getting fitted above the wc, I have an opening window with a trickle vent fitted.
So what are the regs for the type of fan and isolating switch, reason for asking is there is a fan with pull cord left to get fitted next week with a few meters of t&e left for the electrician to fit, is this the correct fan and no triple pole isolator ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi I just got a bathroom changed over through the social work as I couldn’t get in and out of the bath, so 2m square with shower in one corner and wc in the opposite corner with the wall fan getting fitted above the wc, I have an opening window with a trickle vent fitted.
The Building Regulations state there must be 'adequate' ventilation.
You may have this without the new fan - and/or the Building Inspector may think it is compulsory.

So what are the regs for the type of fan and isolating switch,
There is none, although an isolating switch is a good idea.

Thanks for the reply I thought it would have been a timer or stat fan and need a triple isolator, thanks for putting me straight

The isolater just, well isolates it so that you can switch it off if necessary, or work on it without switching off the lighting electrics. It's good pratice to have one fitted, but it's not a neccesity. As you have difficulty getting in and out of the bath, I'm surprised they aren't fitting a fan with a timer, so I'd get that queried before that one is fitted.

Sponsored Links
The isolater just, well isolates it so that you can switch it off if necessary, or work on it without switching off the lighting electrics. It's good pratice to have one fitted, but it's not a neccesity.
Indeed. The argument that the reason for an isolator is so that one can (once in a blue moon) work on the fan without losing the lights is a bit pathetic (what if they want to work on the lighting circuit itself?!). However, one value (perhaps the only particularly useful value) is that it enables the fan to be isolated, and the lights (and the rest of the installation) to continue working, whilst one is waiting for someone to come and sort out a faulty fan (which may, for example, be tripping the RCD covering the circuit, and maybe lots of other circuits).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back