Extractor fan switch in bathroom - please legalise it for me

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Without going into complex rules/regs, I get the vibe (having discussed it with many sparkys) that a on/off switch/button (not a pull cord) for a extractor fan is not allowed/ideal in a bathroom. So here is my dilemma:

The Mrs doesn't want it connected to the light switch - you pop in to check your face and 35~42dB of nastiness hits you.

We currently have a pull cord for the shower and a pull cord for the light. Introducing a 3rd pull cord for the fan will look naff (we should have isolated the shower outside in the hallway but its done now!).

I've seen (in Europe too) on/off buttons for extractor fans actually labelled as such INSIDE bathrooms. This is the kind of button I am referring to:

bathroom-extractor-fan-switch-white-6a-triple-pole-isolator-isolation-switch-522-p%5Bekm%5D235x235%5Bekm%5D.jpg

Having this INSIDE would be awesome but the question is: CAN I? Our bathroom is 8ft x 8ft and has a decent sized window and I plan on using a 150mm extractor from Toolstation.

I've seen those humidity sensor types too and don't mind paying extra - but do they actually work properly? I assume those wouldn't need isolating?

Sponsored Links
Having this INSIDE would be awesome but the question is: CAN I?
If more than 600mm vertically from the edge of the bath/shower and if the manufacturer states it is suitable for the environment.

I've seen those humidity sensor types too and don't mind paying extra - but do they actually work properly?
They work to a certain extent if correctly situated.

I assume those wouldn't need isolating?
They do, and fusing - if the manufacturer so states - the fuse is not electrically necessary.

The switch you picture is an isolator.
If you don't mind using it as a functional switch - one stone, two birds.
However, you will need to take L,N&E to and from the switch.

If more than 600mm vertically from the edge of the bath/shower and if the manufacturer states it is suitable for the environment.

OK - not sure what you mean by 'vertiplacingcally' but it on the opposite wall to where the bath is (about 5ft away) and well away from any splashes should be fine? Ofcourse, if the manufacturer states?

I'll get the Sparky to drop the cables through cavity into the loft.

not sure what you mean by 'vertically'
It must be more than 2ft away from a line drawn vertically from the edge of the bath.

but it on the opposite wall to where the bath is (about 5ft away) and well away from any splashes should be fine? Ofcourse, if the manufacturer states?
Ok then.

I'll get the Sparky to drop the cables through cavity into the loft.
Not supposed to do that these days but sparky will know.

Sponsored Links
The diagram does not show/highlight zone zero, which is in the bath! This is of course is outside zone 1 and 2 but not recommend for the installation of your isolator ;)

The diagram does not show/highlight zone zero, which is in the bath! This is of course is outside zone 1 and 2 but not recommend for the installation of your isolator ;)
C'mon - I don't want to have to put up my 2:1 grad certificate in MEng Mechanical Engineering...retarded somewhat maybe but I'm gifted with 'some' commonsense :)

Wow - its a very similar layout to my own bathroom. I planned on putting it somewhere in Zone 5 based on this pic. Thanks for this: very handy diagram.
The diagram is wrong, and WOE PBoD doesn't know that is beyond me.

As is why he ignores the Wiki.

t2565752.jpg

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:bathroom-zones

The diagram is wrong, and WOE PBoD doesn't know that is beyond me.

Well, I've had a look at the pictures in the wiki, and can't see what the difference is between them and PBoD's picture.
Care to enlighten? Something to do with the handbasin?

It's an area added by a lot of lighting manufacturers in their fitting guides to dissuade the customer from mounting their products too close to the sink.

It's not in BGB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back