Bathroom Extractor Fan - Wiring Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just a quick one, i think i know the answer but thought its worth the try. The bathroom extractor needed replacing and it would appear ive bought the wrong one. Our old one came on when the bathroom light was turned on and has 3 connectors - a permanent live, a switched live and a neutral, whereas my new one only has 2 connectors, the permanent live and neutral.

Is there anyway I can salvage this or am i buying a new fan?

Any help would be really appreciated!

fan.jpg fan2.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would assume that the old fan had a timer to keep the fan on for a time after the light went off. The new one will turn on and off with the light. Your choice, really.

Thanks for the reply mate, Yeah the old one did have a timer after the light went off but that doesnt really bother me. How would I wire it up to just come on and off with the light?

Fan permanent live to switched live in cable. Neutral to neutral.

Sponsored Links
My new fan doesnt have a switched live on though? its only the permanent and neutral?

No, Switched live wire to Live in Fan. N to N.

Terminate the Permanent Live in a connector block and position out of the way.

If its easy to return the fan for a replacement or refund, this is the best idea.

otherwise

What was wrong with the old fan?

If the motor failed or was noisy, you may be able to move that circuit board to the new fan, if you can do it safely.

Ahhh sorry mate, i understand now! Thats brilliant thanks for your help, i'll give it a try!

If its easy to return the fan for a replacement or refund, this is the best idea.

otherwise

What was wrong with the old fan?

If the motor failed or was noisy, you may be able to move that circuit board to the new fan, if you can do it safely.

I did think about that and it looks easy enough to do but I figured it was the circuit board that was probably broken so came on here instead lol

Its a Long story. To be honest it should be the electrician coming back and swapping it but he's fallen out with the builders etc and for the sake of £13 i'll just do it to speed things up. Thanks again mate

Well, you could be right, but I would have expected to see some electronics in that case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back