Bathroom Extractor Wiring

They are wrong. The fuse is to protect the cable not the fan.

Neither an isolator nor local fuse is required by the regs if it is on the lighting circuit.

Is it though? I'd need to check the blue book as I always treated it like a shower isolator where DP isolation is required.

My understanding of manufacturers instructions are that they should always be followed and that the mention of a 3A fuse is to reduce the likelihood of the fan catching fire if it seizes.
This may be the fan manufacturer covering their liability, but if I ignore the instructions then I become liable.

Sponsored Links
Is it though? I'd need to check the blue book as I always treated it like a shower isolator where DP isolation is required.
...but it's not - required by the blue book.

My understanding of manufacturers instructions are that they should always be followed and that the mention of a 3A fuse is to reduce the likelihood of the fan catching fire if it seizes.
If that were the reason then it is not fit for purpose.
See: rest of (non-British) world.

This may be the fan manufacturer covering their liability,
To be fair to them I think it is just them stating what they think the regulations are.

but if I ignore the instructions then I become liable.
How can that be if you fitted it according to BS7671 regulations?

I know of at least 3 other sparks who think it's required. One even reckoned on a story of a spark being taken to court for not fusing the fan and it catching fire.
I couldn't say if it's a true story, but we all know that fans regularly give up.

How can that be if you fitted it according to BS7671 regulations?

I completely agree that by conforming to BS7671 my ass 'should' be covered, but it's still good practice to comply with the instructions.

I know of at least 3 other sparks who think it's required.
It doesn't matter what they think.
No appliances are required to have local isolation by BS7671.

One even reckoned on a story of a spark being taken to court for not fusing the fan and it catching fire.
I couldn't say if it's a true story, but we all know that fans regularly give up.
I couldn't say if it is true either.

I completely agree that by conforming to BS7671 my ass 'should' be covered, but it's still good practice to comply with the instructions.
You may do it if you wish.

Sponsored Links

The instructions are guidance only and don't have to be followed, especially when they are wrong.

Here is a serious example of wrong manufacturers instructions.

Attachments

• IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 71
My understanding of manufacturers instructions are that they should always be followed

This has been discussed before. I think you must “have regard to” the manufacturers instructions, but that doesn’t mean blindly following them if e.g. they are obviously wrong.

I had a bathroom fan where the instructions showed fuses in both the L and N supplies. I did not install it like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back