Bathroom fan advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this is posted in wrong area but I'm unsure what trade this falls under

I live in a new build flat (2007) and have a internal bathroom. I deciced I need to replace my existing extarctor fan so removed it to measure the flue size but when I removed it there was no flue. Just a hole cut in the cieling. So put a camera above the hole a took some pictures. There is a flue but it's about 2 or 3 feet away from the extract fan.

Is this acceptable? Or is it breaking a reg?
Will be calling Taylor wimpy Monday to complain but want to know if they have a leg to stand on.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Adam

Sponsored Links
Is the duct the flexible plastic concertina type?

If it is, it may have just not been taped up very well, slipped off (or blown off) and folded itself up again.

I agree it could be that the concertina ducting has come loose and pulled away from the fan housing. Can you get hold of the end of it and stretch it towards the fan? If it does then the above is probably true. If it won't then the duct is not long enough and was never connected.

No it's not the flexible type its the solid plastic. Not even any flexible between the fan and solid duct. The duct is in the centre of the room and fan is above the radiator and door. So will get the fan moved to the duct

Sponsored Links
Is this acceptable? Or is it breaking a reg?

If it was faulty (i.e. not conected) at the time the completion inspection was carried out, then yes... that may have been a problem. But do you have any information to prove that?

Just out of interest, is there a maintenance company who are employed to deal with issues like that on yours and other flats? If so, I'd approach them before going to Taylor Wimpey direct. And even if you did go to Taylor Wimpey, they may just say it happened since the build was completed. Obviously they wouldn't know and wouldn't be able to deal with a problem if it has never been reported.

I would ask Taylor Wimpey to sort it out. Tell them the ducting was never connected and has just been discovered. Also tell them that, as a result, exhaust air has been channelled into the floor void and you will investigate to see if this has caused any other problems. If they try to fob you off with 2 year maintenance periods tell them it is a hidden defect and the reasonable maintenace period runs from the time the problem was discovered. Set a period of time (say, 6 weeks) to resolve the problem and tell them if it is not resolved in that time you will employ a contractor and recover the cost from them. Make sure you put everything in writing.

We do have a maintenance company but they are responsible for the communal areas. They are not liable for Taylor wimpys faults.

Thanks for your advice I will straight on the phone Monday morning

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back