Bathroom Fan advise

SL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you please advise what type / make / model of fan is best for my bathroom.

1) room 2m * 1.7m * 2.5m high with Velux window
2) fan in ceiling, over bath with shower
3) must be quiet
4) if light is switched on I would like a delay before fan comes on.
5) can fan be started without turning light on
6) if using pull cord, does this have to be directly connected to fan or can it have a separate pull cord, say near the door.
7) have been told it must be low voltage as, can not get separate earth wire as walls and floor have already been tiled.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi SL,

We are now looking for the same sort of thing for our bathroom. I noticed you didn't have any replies. Did you managed to get a fan and if so could you recommend it?

Thanks if you reply.

The question is why are you fitting a fan? Many people fit the fan only to satisfy a building inspector. I which case a delay on start is only available when there is no loo in bathroom. Using a humidity control will give you a delayed start.
2.25M is limit so at 2.5M high you can use low voltage (230V) no need for extra low voltage (12V)
You can fit pull cords often double pole are used which then switches lights and fan.
Also normal to fit an isolator so if it fails then it can be switched off and lights will still work.
The rule as to separate earth's has changed and as long as it complies with the rest of the new regulations i.e. everything in a bathroom now must be RCD protected including lights. Then there is no need for bonding i.e. extra earth wire.
But I would check with who ever is signing the completion certificate there is no point in doing something if they don't like it even if it does pass BS7671:2008 regulations so check with them first.

The fan needs to be installed due to building regs. Are Xpelair CF20 Centrifugal 34W Bathroom Fan any good please?

Or can anyone recommend a make, model please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes. It is a good brand, and Centrifugal is generally better than Axial (quieter and more powerful)

It is better to have the fan come on with the light as some people have an aversion to ventilation and will not turn fans on or open windows. It will keep the room fresher and needs to run on for 20 mins or so as shower tray and towels will hold a lot of water after you have finished.

If you've got an opening window you don't have to have a fan...

The best way to ensure that a fan only comes on when the shower is used, and can't be left off when the shower is on is to have the shower trigger it.

What sort of shower have you got?

Thanks Ban-all-sheds for your reply. Will be installing a pumped shower, nothing too powerful.

So it would be ok to have the fan trigger when the pump is on and get a timed fan to over run? Basically on the same wiring. Was looking into getting a demister pad for a mirror too. Would this be able to be triggered when the shower pump is on too, again same wiring?

Many thanks.

:(

but that means fan will not come on when people have a hot steamy bath, or use the WC after a hot steamy curry.

I prefer the light-switch operation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back