bathroom fan and shaver/mirror/light question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, a newbie here. And posting in the electrics forum, so I'm girding myself for the trial by fire from other posters. But...

I have ripped my flat back to a shell like condition - not living in it - and chased and run the wires for a re wire. Yes, I am aware of Part P, and having taken a five day course (five days! ha! I know)... and having done a lot of reading, I believe my installation complies with that document. Have notified LABC; they just want to see it when its in but not covered up. Which is exactly where it is, and while I wait - and wait - for my procrastinating LABC to come round and look at it I'd like to make sure all is as ready and competent as possible. I've been considering my bathroom wiring set up.

I have a fan coming off the lighting radial (1.5mm T and E protected by a type B 6 amp RCBO at the CU). The fan is a PIR/movement sensor job, so not coming on with light switch, no overrun. So a double pole FCU outside the bathroom above the door is serving isolation duties. I've now decided to put in a mirror cabinet with light and shaver socket. Questions:

- Does this need isolation also? If it doesn't need a dedicated means of isolation, could I wire it as the next thing along the radial? Or should it be a spur off it?

- If it does need isolating, can it be on the same FCU?

- Either way, can I wire my bathroom in the manner of this drawing?

This - slightly crowded - plan avoids the need for a junction box in my ceiling recess, and the involved question of what "accessible" means. The back box will probably be a 47mm deep one to fit it all in.

- Am I alright with the terminal block inside of the back box? There's no room to put it inside a choc box, should I wrap it in tape?

Phew. Hope all that makes sense.

Thanks for looking at this if you can. Go easy on me. And yes, I PROMISE this is going through the council. Are there any rules they have to abide by regarding swiftness of response? I've been waiting three weeks now since paying my fees and can't plasterboard anything...

Sponsored Links
Fine.

While the cabinet/shaver socket probably doesn't need separate isolation, it would be good practice to provide this for situations such as changing a lamp.

No problem with the terminal block either, but don't use tape, this just makes a mess and serves no purpose (the block is already made from insulating plastic).

Council inspecting - no specific rules, however it is up to you to tell them when various things are ready for inspection.

I've now decided to put in a mirror cabinet with light and shaver socket. Questions:
- Does this need isolation also? If it doesn't need a dedicated means of isolation, could I wire it as the next thing along the radial? Or should it be a spur off it?
- If it does need isolating, can it be on the same FCU?

One of the key things you will have learned on the five day course, particularly in realtion to electrical equipment, is contained in BS7671:2008 Regulation 134.1.1.
I would suggest that that will determine if you can wire the cabinet the way you propose.

Have notified LABC; they just want to see it when its in but not covered up.
What's happening about testing?

Am I alright with the terminal block inside of the back box? There's no room to put it inside a choc box, should I wrap it in tape?
CTBUTTSLASHR.JPG

Sponsored Links
One of the key things you will have learned on the five day course, particularly in realtion to electrical equipment, is contained in BS7671:2008 Regulation 134.1.1.
I would suggest that that will determine if you can wire the cabinet the way you propose.

Do you mean this bit?

"Electrical equipment shall be installed in accordance with the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the equipment".

If so, have yet to purchase, or choose, the cabinet. Will certainly read the instructions dutifully on purchase. But I readily admit, I wasn't sure if the principal of two things on the load side of the same FCU was utterly verboten or not. Which ignorance makes me think you might be referring to the bit of the reg about a competent person doing the installation. :D Well, that's what the LABC will attempt to find out. In answer to your question ban, they are farming out the testing to a separate company ("the power service"). Thanks to both of you for the replies. Really useful forum.

If you use maintainance free junction boxes, you can get round the accessibility issue of them I believe. look up Wago on youtube.

If you use maintainance free junction boxes, you can get round the accessibility issue of them I believe. look up Wago on youtube.

Wether or not they comply with 7671 is another matter mind you.

“Junction boxes with screw terminals must be
accessible for inspection, testing & maintenance or, alternatively, use
maintenance-free terminals / connection (Regulation 526.3)”

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back