Wiring a fan, shaver mirror and light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first post so please be nice and I'll try to not ask silly questions! :D

I appreciate that people may tell me to get professional advice as this is in a bathroom. However, I'd like to understand how this would be solved. I haven't started work yet either.

I have a bathroom which is being renovated. There is currently a pendant light wired into a ceiling rose on the lighting rin. I will have to remove this ceiling rose to fit my new light fitting (it's a bathroom specific light, outside of any 'zones') as it won't fit under the new light fitting. So, I'm going to replace the ceiling rose with a junction box (presumably just a 20A one) in the loft and run a cable down through the ceiling to my new light fitting.

So far so good (feel free to correct me!), but I also want to have:
- a mirror with LED lights and a shaver socket; and
- an extractor fan which operates only when the light is on, it does not need to run on. I've still got a wall mounted extractor with a pull cord as I don't want it on most of the time.

My question is: Can I wire these into the same junction box or is that putting too much in? I guess this would be six wires coming out of one junction box. How would I accomplish this? Another junction box?!

Many thanks!
MJ

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the prompt reply!

Nothing wrong with the theory and you should be able to get them all in a 20A jb.
Good, I'm glad I wasn't thinking about doing something completely stupid.

But it would be better and more professional to take one cable from the jb and loop in and out of the other items, including a fan isolator.
What do you mean by 'loop in and out' of the other items? Is a fan isolator necessary? The fan has a pull cord, but I understand this is not an isolator! If I have it powered through the switched live of the pull-cord light, would this still need an isolator?

Also the fan and the mirror light may have to be fused down, by using fcu's. And the circuit needs 30mA rcd protection.
So would these require a couple of FCUs on the wall outside the bathroom? I'd like to avoid this as it's a solid block wall and it would obviously not look fantastic.

The lighting circuit is on an RCD which was put in a couple of years ago when the consumer unit was replaced by a qualified electrician. I should've asked him about this when I first thought of this refurb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back