Bathroom Fan Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a rather ancient (~1960's) extractor fan half way up the wall in my bathroom. The on/off switch is operated by the steel shutter on the front of it. The fan (and shutter etc) is earthed and on the lighting circuit.

A few inches above the fan is a std size connection unit box (not fused, not switched) set in the wall with a plain cover on the front. Inside, it used to have ceramic screw-type connectors on each wire to connect fan flex with house cable. It now houses a chocblock.

Question:

In time, the fan will probably be replaced with a modern unit, but current one is working fine but I would like to add, at the very least, an un-switched FCU. I know we don't put sockets in bathrooms ( ;)) and lights are operated by pull cords, so what about my FCU for this fan? Is it acceptable to use the existing box in the wall, or should it be outside the bathroom? Would it make any difference if the FCU had a switch?

Thanks for your advice!

Sponsored Links
Silver_Hawk said:
Hi All,

I have a rather ancient (~1960's) extractor fan half way up the wall in my bathroom. The on/off switch is operated by the steel shutter on the front of it. The fan (and shutter etc) is earthed and on the lighting circuit.

A few inches above the fan is a std size connection unit box (not fused, not switched) set in the wall with a plain cover on the front. Inside, it used to have ceramic screw-type connectors on each wire to connect fan flex with house cable. It now houses a chocblock.

Question:

In time, the fan will probably be replaced with a modern unit, but current one is working fine but I would like to add, at the very least, an un-switched FCU. I know we don't put sockets in bathrooms ( ;)) and lights are operated by pull cords, so what about my FCU for this fan? Is it acceptable to use the existing box in the wall, or should it be outside the bathroom? Would it make any difference if the FCU had a switch?

Thanks for your advice!

Fan swithes are now triple pole and must be mounted outside the bathroom, usually at the top of the wall. If you use a spur again outside is a must.

Sponsored Links
...but abnormal ones have to make an appointment to see a shrink...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back