Bathroom fan wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would be most grateful for knowing how to wire up my new Experia bathroom fan. The wire colours for the new fan do not match up with the wire colours in the ceiling. So my question is which one goes where?

I have enclosed two photos to better explain what I mean.
IMG_20180414_075434.jpg
IMG_20180414_074608.jpg

Sponsored Links
It is not possible to say definitively.

Wires do not know what colour they are. People use them in different ways.

If you post a picture of the other end - maybe the ceiling rose or a switch - we can see where they are connected.

Other than bare and green/yellow which is earth, there are no standard colours when using cable with the three phase colours to include a neutral. On the fan I would expect blue to be neutral, but with the three phase cable one would expect brown to be permanent line, but different companies vary as to what they use for neutral, some use black as that was neutral years ago, and some use grey as that replaces blue with new colours.

So you need to look at the ceiling rose, you may see that cable at the ceiling rose, the other method is put the cable in a chock block so can't touch in error, then measure with a meter, personally I would measure to earth, although that may cause the RCD to trip depending on ohms/volt of tester.

Best method would have been to take the picture before disconnecting the old, but a bit late for that.

Thanks for the replies. I have some more information that might help in the three enclosed photos.

One shows the wiring in use on the old fan, and other two are from the instruction manual for the dx200 model.
IMG_20180406_111156.jpg
IMG_20180415_202109.jpg
IMG_20180415_202053.jpg

Sponsored Links
A photo in focus would have been more helpful!

If I can try to decipher it.
The grey was in N neutral (?) - this should have a blue sleeve on the wire
The black was in T (?). This is the switched live and should have a brown sleeve on the wire
The brown was in L (?) This is the permanent live.
And the earth is the one with green/Yell sleeving.

I assume you have a wiring diagram for the new fan(?) and can wire up correctly from the above.

As far as I can tell from the wiring diagram for your new fan, the three terminals, starting from the left, would be the same colours, namely:earth (green/yellow), neutral (grey) (N) and switched live (black) (T) (T means timer I believe). The remaining two terminals give you choice for low or high speed (LH or HH) and the live (brown) would go into one of these. This, to me, explains the "extra" terminal.

Whether you choose to do this yourself depends entirely on your confidence and carefulness as a DIYer.

The experts on the forum will say if I have got any of the above wrong.

Cheers,

Blup

Thanks for the reply.

The instruction paperwork I showed is for the new model dx200. Unlike my old model it does not have a Timer function (T).

If I have understood right
Yellow / green goes to Earth
Grey to blue
Nothing in the middle for T
Black to brown
Brown to red

I don’t think so. 3 core and earth is used for fans with a timer.

So replacing with a non timer fan would require 2 core and earth between the ceiling rose and fan, assuming everyting else is already correctly in place. To wire it in with 3 core and earth is potentially dangerous, even if you “isolated” the “spare” wire.

Blup

Unlike my old model it does not have a Timer function (T).
Is that a good step forward?

Black to brown
Brown to red
No.

Your incoming cable has permanent and switched live, as you know from looking at the connection diagram for the DX200T.

Your new fan only uses switched live as you know from looking at the connection diagram for the DX200, and as you know it has no timer function.

You connect to brown or red depending on what speed you want the fan to run at.

To wire it in with 3 core and earth is potentially dangerous, even if you “isolated” the “spare” wire.
Utter nonsense.

Peters - ignore him - he doesn't have a clue what he is talking about. Your new fan even has a empty terminal where you can park the unused permanent live.

But my suggestion of wiring up the non timer fan with twin and earth would work in this instance, would it not?

Blup

Well it would, but why go to all the time and expense of running a new cable when there is a perfectly good one already there?

Even if it was a brand new installation the advice would be to run 3C+E in case a timer fan was wanted in the future.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm just an amateur enthusiast and doing this task has been outside my comfort zone as I not knowledgeable about electrical matters.

I have however successfully managed to sort it all out.

Blup - you were spot on with the wiring and now the new bathroom fan is working fine.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back