Bathroom fan

M

marsaday

Do all bathroom fans go through a standard 4" core hole?

i am planning on doing the hole before buying the fan and dont want to be restricted to fan size.

My fan will be mounted above the bath, so does this need to be low voltage?

Any recommendations on which fans you all like?

Sponsored Links
Are you the bloke who bought a cart before he bought a horse?

Can you answer the op's question?

Before you reply, remember:
"It is always better to keep quiet and be considered a fool, then to speak and remove all doubts".

4" duct is what i am going for.

Anyone got any info on which fan to use.

i want it to come on with the lights and then have a delay. does this mean i will need a timer fan ?

anyone answer the question about low voltage fan?

Sponsored Links
i want it to come on with the lights and then have a delay. does this mean i will need a timer fan ?

Yes, it will need to be a timer fan.

anyone answer the question about low voltage fan?

Before someone even more pedantic than me picks up on it, what you probably mean is Extra Low Voltage. Believe it or not, 230v is in the Low Voltage band, although many manufacturers and suppliers incorrectly use Low Voltage when referring to SELV/PELV.

Anyway, above the bath will likely be zone 1. If you use a mains fan, it MUST be protected by a 30mA RCD and rated to a minimum of IPX4. Personally, I would always install an Extra Low Voltage fan in this location with the transformer located outside of the bathroom, but that's just preference.

You might find the icon range of fans interesting. Never fitted one myself, but a lot of people seem to recommend them.

The fan you buy will depend on what zone your fan is going to be fitted.
The size of the hole will depend on the size of the fan
The size of the fan will depend on what volume of air you want to shift.
It could be 4" 5" or 6"

You'll need a special SELV fan if it is to be in Zone 0

Definately IP44 if it is in zones 1 or 2.

Where will yours be?

Where will you put the isolation switch?

Are you aware that ALL electrical work in a bathroom is notifiable? See //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law
That means that you need to notify the local authority BEFORE you run any cables.

Or use a registered electrician - find one at www.competentperson.co.uk

thanks for the replies.

the fan will go above the bath (just under ceiling). our bathroom is 2.2m x 1.8m. we use the shower over the bath more often though.

I have seen the sparky wire the fan up to the main light (on another house) and so it comes on when the lights do and then stays running for 10 mins after the light has gone out.

the wiring is above in the loft area.

the consumer unit is 2 1/2 yrs old and all rings in the house are RCD protected. I am pretty sure this is a simple job and sparky will be doing it anyway.

However i have now made my 4" hole and it has a piece of soil pipe running through it. i have cemented up around externally as i stitch drilled it.

i will look into which fan i need, but we do open the window anyway when showering, so i think something shifting 90cu m will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back