Bathroom FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am heading towards the tiling stage of my bathroom refit and had a sudden realisation yesterday. :!:

I am fitting an electric towel rail. My plan was to use an FCU with an appropriately rated fuse. I am tiling the whole room which to me means that despite being in Zone 3, there is a certainty that the FCU will get wet. Not because I like to splash about in the bath (although that is kinda fun :D ) but because water will condense on the cold tiles and run down the wall and possibly into the FCU.

So, I was wondering. What is the wisdom on this? I was thinking about running some sanitary silicone around the edge of the FCU after fitting it to the wall to provide a seal (that would have to be renewed by anyone removing it). But then I remembered that sealant gives off ethanoic acid (vinegar) as it cures which isn't that great for anything metal. :confused:

What is received wisdom on this? Is there some kind of gasket I can fit between FCU and wall? Or is the silicone idea fine? Or am I just being a big girl's blouse? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I could, but it would end up somewhere pretty inaccessible. The only logical locations I can think of are under my bed or in the loft! The issue would still be there mind, as the flex to the element would terminate behind a blanking plate on that same tiled wall.

The current bathroom heater is also electric and the FCU for this is on the same wall. However, it is the tiling and the associated water condensation that is proving to confound me.

I haven't done an exhaustive study, but the most attractive (or should that be least ugly?) IP rated accessories I've seen are the MK Masterseal range, and they do a switched FCU with flex outlet:

56410GRY.JPG

Photo is of a grey one - they do them in white but don't have a photo. It'd probably look a little like this when closed:

56400WHI.JPG

Sponsored Links
Thankyou for the pointers gents. :)

So, what usually happens when an FCU is installed on a tiled wall in a bathroom? As far as I am aware it is fine to install one in Zone 3, however I am really not so sure it is entirely safe!

I think I will install the FCU into the back box, put some kind of rubber in between the FCU rim and the tiles, tighten the screws up well, then silicone around the edge. The vinegar vapour is not ideal but probably safer than allowing water to leak into the FCU.

I am guessing that the reason they don't sell suitable gaskets is to prevent someone assuming it is then ok for exterior use or something. :evil:

That is true, but the main problem I can foresee is that water will condense on the tiles, then drip down between the FCU and the wall.

What do sparks do when fitting an FCU in a bathroom, zone 3? Come on guys, it can't be a trade secret surely? :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back