Bathroom Floor TIling - plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to tile our bathroom floor and use underfloor heating. It is wooden floorboards currently so I am about to lay some plywood as a base.

Can anyone tell me the minimum thickness I can get away with, and also whether I am better off with tongue and grooved loft boards?? I'm a bit concerned that if I lay several boards the edges of them will natrually be at slightly different heights and leave a lip. WOuld I need to get the whole floor exact or is a couple of mm diff in height at the edges of boards not a problem.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need a minimum of 15mm plywood, make sure it is rated as WBP (which means the glue is waterproof) Or you could bond & screw Aquapanel to the floorboards with rapidset Flexi adhesive.

Screw it to the floorboards at 200mm cts making sure you don't hit any pipes below.

As you will be using quite a thick layer of adhesive to cover the UFH a mm or two difference should be OK. You can by T&G plywood in 18 & 22mm thicknesses.

Don't use loft boards.

Jason

Thanks for your advice. I was hoping to get away with slightly thinner wood. Is there a reason 15mm is the minimum? What problems would 12mm cause?

Thicker the ply the less movement in the floor, less movement therefore less chance the tiles will move, therefore less chance of ground cracking and you having to regrout every 6 months.

Sponsored Links
as Jason said do a proper job an them tiles will be perfect , also put noggins in on the joists

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back