bathroom floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fixed down 4mm ply[sounds like i should have used 6mm] over t+g floorboards in my 3mx3m upstairs bathroom.I am about to fit new w/c,ceramic shower tray,sink unit[4 legs],skirting boards and threshold.Can I lay some sort of vinyl floor sheeting down and then silicone everything down on top of it ensuring a really good seal and avoid accurate trimming.If this can be done what type of sheeting [and glue?] should I use.

Sponsored Links
Are there any sheet flooring experts out there!.....please.

Well yes you can do that .....

But - you will be trapping down the vinyl flooring under your fixtures. This will make it difficult to change your floor in the future - you will have to remove them again. it is also a bad idea to permanantly glue vinyl flooring down - the reason is that if/when you decide to change it then you will almost certainly damage the boarding and end up having to renew it.

Normal practice is to loose lay vinyl, and trim it around any fixtures and fittings. You can stiil silicone seal around the edges if you wish.

Remember - there is usually a very good reason why fitters do things the way they do and your proposals will end up causing you problems in the future

Sponsored Links
Thanks Lymmranger.I can see that removing it in the future could damage ply subfloor if glued down ..so looselay it is[i am looking at Armstrong Rhino cushioned vinyl].Obviously I dont want to put shower base on top of looselay as it wouldent be stable,but could I screw toilet and silicone skirtings down onto it?[the 4 legged wooden sink unit surely has to be placed on top anyway??]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back