bathroom from start to finish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used laminate on my floor, just make sure it's the waterproof bathroom laminate. I left the expansion gap under the skirting so I had to lay the floor first, then fix the skirting, then tile up to the skirting.

I put the bath in first before anything else (no point in tiling behind it or flooring under it. Then flooring (I actually tiled around the bath first). Then I tiled the whole room. You don't want to cut tiles around the basin/bog etc.

Then intsalled the basin, pedestal and bog last ontop of the flooring.

Check out some pics of my bathroom from start to finish...
www.geocities.com/albopalbo

Sponsored Links
If you would like my opinion as a time served vet I would advice anyone against fitting laminate floor in any wet area - kitchen, bathroom, ensuite, utility - no matter what it says on the pack :eek:

Why alpcon? My parents have had laminate in their bathjroom for 10 years and is just starting to look a bit shabby. 10 years aint bad!

People always say...."bathroom..laminate....wood..NOOOOOO" without actually reading up and doing research on new products available.

If my floor lasts 10 years I'll be MORE than happy.

Agreed but to get the best gear it costs an arm and a leg and i have found that most of my customers don't want to go to the expense. I did say after all that I recommend you don't fit it I didn't say do not under any circumstances.

If you want to go down this route then please get someone in who knows exactly what they are doing and I would also suggest that you fit the type of floor that requires gluing as this adds further waterproofing and also lay in a good quality underlay/membrane :D

Sponsored Links
I have just finished my ensuite and I layed ceramic tiles on the floor, they are not as difficult as you may think (maybe a little more messy). As long as you have a few tile cutting tools (which aren't that expensive) I would personally tile every time (and i have done both). ;) ;) ;)

And in response to the order, I personally fit everything first then tile round it. It gives everything a nice snug looking finish, everything looks tied together, as opposed to just been sat there with gaps round the edges. :D :D :D

I personally fit everything first then tile round it. It gives everything a nice snug looking finish, everything looks tied together, as opposed to just been sat there with gaps round the edges. :D :D :D

That sounds like you're contradicting yourself there. Surely tiling around a WC/WHB means you're more likely to have gaps around the edges?

I've always thought it best to tile the areas where your new s/ware is going first, then fit the s/ware (if you need a functioning bathroom ASAP) then complete the tiling then grout the lot.

And in response to the order, I personally fit everything first then tile round it. It gives everything a nice snug looking finish, everything looks tied together, as opposed to just been sat there with gaps round the edges. :D :D :D

I think that's absolutely the wrong way to do it; why go to all the effort of trying to cut tiles to fit around the awkward shapes of basin & w/c. There is a big risk they will either break during cutting or look awful because the shape isn't quiet right. Tile first then fit the sanitary ware; it’s also common practice to apply a bead of silicone between the basin edge & wall tiles & around the bottom of the w/c/pedestal against the floor tiles or otherwise.

Bon/Richard C - That maybe the wrong way to do it in your opinion but hey, everyone has an opinion.:cool: :cool: :cool:

richb 38 - As you can see there are two clear opinions either do it before or do it after. So lets face it, you're no better off now than when you started this thread!!! ;) ;) ;)

A lot of chat and not much common sense.

With regards to tiling before or after, you can always fit the sanitaryware and leave a 10mm spacer gap. This way, you can get on with tiling and still have your facilities available to use.

When it comes to tiling around the basin/toilet. Just disconnect or loosen it to tile behind for, or whatever. No big deal. Then you're only without your toilet/basin for a short time.

The cloakroom I'm fitting out is like that at the moment & with service valves on all supplies, I can remove & refit the sanitary ware for access as & when I want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back