Bathroom- Gap between plasterboard and chipboard floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm re-tiling my bathroom and I notice there is a 25-30mm gap all-round between plaster board and floorboards. I take this is to stop moisture wicking up the boards and I didn't have an issue with it when I tiled it 10 year ago as I was using a 12"x12" tile, but now I'm re tiling and using a very narrow tile - 9cm x 28cm and I'm concerned about the gap for obvious reasons.
Would I be able to put some expanding filler in the gap or does anyone have a better solution?

Sponsored Links
The gap is no problem.
Your new tiles are well adequate to cover any opening.
What about any finished flooring that might raise the FFL?
If this is Dot&Dab then there should be a line of adhesive across the bottom width of the board.

The floor tiles where fitted 2 year ago after a couple broke, but now I have removed the old large wall tiles it has exposed the gap all around the floor. I know the new tile will cover, but I'm just concerned that there will be only two thirds of the tile plus adhesive stuck to the plasterboard as the last third of the tile will be a over hang. Obviously when the missus gets in with her mop and starts cleaning around every couple of days, I'm worried that this may loosen them over time.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back