Bathroom Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In need of some advice, regarding insulation please....I'm just "re-doing" the bathroom..... which suffers from really cold temperatures in the Winter time (surprise, surprise!!), and also condensation/mould growth. Question is..... I'm considering insulating, the outer wall, with something like 25mm Kingspan insulating board, between battens, and then covered, with a plasterboard, and tile finish.... does this sound reasonable..... or will I be adding to the condensation issues..... am also fitting extraction fan to the same wall, and heating the bathroom, with a high mounted, elecric blower heater...... appreciate all comments :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
A tip I have found useful in a bathroom is to insulate the bath. That is go get a roll of cheap loft insulation and fill round the underside of the bath then fit the bath side. Depending on the deal you get it should cost under a tenner. Bath says hot longer, and sound transmission is significantly reduced as well.

Have you considered this;
http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ...es/gyproc_thermal/gyproc_thermaline_plus.aspx

Takes up less space that battening is easier to fix & has an integral vapour barrier. If using plasterboard in a wet area (even Moisture Resistant), you should tank it before tiling or use a waterproof tile backer board if you want it to last. The extractor fan will make a big difference & is a Building Regs. requirement in new bathrooms, it should prevent condensation & all the nasties that go with it.

Be aware that DIY electrical work in a bathroom must be notified to LABC before you start or they won’t inspect & test it (they may not anyway but that’s another story). The easiest option is to get it done by a Part P registered electrician who will test & issue a certificate of compliance. Also have a read of the Tiling Forum Sticky & the archive posts before you start to avoid making any mistakes.

Sponsored Links
Be aware that DIY electrical work in a bathroom must be notified to LABC before you start or they won’t inspect & test it (they may not anyway but that’s another story). The easiest option is to get it done by a Part P registered electrician who will test & issue a certificate of compliance. Also have a read of the Tiling Forum Sticky & the archive posts before you start to avoid making any mistakes.

Does Part P apply in Northern Ireland? I thought it was an English and Wales only thing, as it certainly does not apply in Scotland.

NI part p does not apply to electrical installations, so part p does exist in NI but not the same as England/Wales.
But the West Midlands could be different again, they are not normal ;)

Sorry about the late reply lads...... but many thanks to to all, for taking the trouble to reply..... very helpful...... thank again! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back