Bathroom led light crackling noise.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Can anyone help me. My bathroom light developed a crackling noise when turned on. Sometimes extremely loud and sounds like it might blow at any second, sometimes it doesn’t do it at all. I was told it was more than likely “arcing” and that the pull cord switch had a fault and should be replaced. Well I have replaced the switch and still doing the same thing. I’m guessing that means the whole light on ceiling may be faulty and needs to be replaced?? I’ll also post a pic of the light I have. Any comment or advise is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 9DF6DE68-7DF8-4637-BAE2-F28682BD426C.jpeg
    9DF6DE68-7DF8-4637-BAE2-F28682BD426C.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Check the wiring connections at the light fitting. Does the crackling sound only happen at the moment the light is switched on ? If so ,it's probably a fault within the fitting itself.

Is the crackling noise coming from the light, or the switch? If its from the light then you wasted your time changing the switch!

It could be the light itself, or you may find a loose connection. The random use of terminal blocks are a common cause so you may need to get above the light to examine that. Best to wait until the cracking starts, peel back your ears, and go investigating..

Yes it only makes the noise when turned on. But not on every occasion. And definitely from the light. Not the switch Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

If there isn't a poor connection on the terminal block, there is another form of failure on LED lights like this.
If there is a manufacturing defect, it's possible that the failure of an led could burn through the surface of the PCB to the underlying aluminium plate. This could cause some arcing and ultimately, the failure of the light.
It might not be what's happening in your case (definitely check any connection blocks first), but here's an example! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back