bathroom light does not work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the bathroom light does not work. replace it with a new one and still not working. there is electricity coming to the bulb holder when I put my testing screw driver but the testing screw driver light is very faint in comparison when I test it on a power socket for example. this give me the indication that the current is very weak. any idea why

Sponsored Links
You need a 2 probe voltage tester for this task.

A neon screwdriver can't be relied upon to determine the problem here.

the bathroom light does not work. replace it with a new one and still not working. there is electricity coming to the bulb holder when I put my testing screw driver but the testing screw driver light is very faint in comparison when I test it on a power socket for example. this give me the indication that the current is very weak. any idea why

Well a testing screwdriver is next to useless, you need a multimeter, but apart from that, it's anyone's guess.

As said above you need testing equipment to establish where the fault is. You can check visibly for loose connections at switch and light fitting ,with power off , but not much else.

Sponsored Links
I have a multimeter what am I looking 240 v across the live and the natural?

I am not home yet, so I will be looking for around 240v between the L and N & L and E any value less than 240v is the cause of the problem and in most cases is water ingress, correct?

Water ingress is the least likely reason for loss of voltage ,unless it has caused a protective device ,such as an RCD to have tripped.

Less than 230v could be a problem.

Water ingress, unlikely.
Wired up wrong possible.
Loose or broken connections more likely.

what is the likely cause for loss of voltage then. there is no RCD in the light circuit

many thanks to whoever contributed to this thread. it was the N bad connection. visual inspection shows it is in situ but in fact it was not making good connection

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back