ELECTRIC SHOCK ! from light switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
my daughter just got a shock from the light switch in her bedroom. She had just come outta the bathroom so I presumed she had damp hands.
I checked the switch screws with a mains voltage tester and it showed up 12v. Tried an electrical screwdriver with a bulb, and the bulb lights up (very faintly) when the tip makes contact with the screw on the switch. Tried some of the other switches upstairs and 3/4 switches are the same.

Any ideas?
Cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
Voltage is measured between two points and the measuring device often has some resistance.
As a result the measurement you give mean nothing as we don't know what it was compared with or how.
Many old houses did not have earths on lighting systems and it is likely the switch needs changing for a non conductive type and caps on the screws.
See ESC Best Practice Guide No.1 for more details.

Voltage is measured between two points and the measuring device often has some resistance.
As a result the measurement you give mean nothing as we don't know what it was compared with or how.
Many old houses did not have earths on lighting systems and it is likely the switch needs changing for a non conductive type and caps on the screws.
See ESC Best Practice Guide No.1 for more details.

Thanks ericmark, but if there is definately a current at the socket screws(bulb lights) it can't be normal can it?

The comments about measuring mains related voltage with a meter referenced to a known good earth point are valid.

"Electric" screwdrivers are dangerous in that they can give no indication when mains voltage is present on the metal they are touching or they may indicate there is mains present when they are in contact with a good earth.

Sponsored Links
what was she wearing...?

no seriously, not being a perv or anything..

rubbing with towels or certain robes can cause static build up..

I checked the switch screws with a mains voltage tester...

Tried an electrical screwdriver with a bulb...
the measurement you give mean nothing as we don't know what it was compared with or how.
Thanks ericmark, but if there is definately a current at the socket screws(bulb lights) it can't be normal can it?

Click.

cheers for the PDFs guys - I never realised how simple it all really is - think I will have a go at installing a new consumer unit thanks to your info. Sparkys eh? Who needs em! :?: p-o-p

cock.jpg

cheers for the PDFs guys - I never realised how simple it all really is - think I will have a go at installing a new consumer unit thanks to your info. Sparkys eh? Who needs em! :?: p-o-p
So let's see.

1) You posted that you'd used some notoriously unreliable and misleading devices to "diagnose" a "fault".

2) Someone who knows what he's talking about told you that the devices you used were notoriously unreliable and misleading, and that the "readings" you got were meaningless.

3) You repeated your assertion that despite all that there must be "current at the socket screws" (sic).

4) I suggested you should get a qualified electrician to take a look.

5) You got all sarky.

Is that a fair summary?

So let's see.

1) You posted that you'd used some notoriously unreliable and misleading devices to "diagnose" a "fault".

2) Someone who knows what he's talking about told you that the devices you used were notoriously unreliable and misleading, and that the "readings" you got were meaningless.

3) You repeated your assertion that despite all that there must be "current at the socket screws" (sic).

4) I suggested you should get a qualified electrician to take a look.

5) You got all sarky.

Is that a fair summary?

Absolutely not - I think you have got hold of the wrong end of the stick dear chap.
The pdf links were very informative - so much so that I followed several links to online guides about home electrics and was surprised to see how straightforward it really is if you have the time to take a look.

In fact I have just completed installing a new box with lovely little circuit breakers - no more fiddling with fusewire for me!!

This forum has galvanised me into action - so I am very grateful.
If I seemed a little clueless - that's because I hadn't really researched the topic - forgive me. I mistakenly thought this was a very complicated business you see.

All the Best

Oh and if you want to see a sarcastic reply to people coming to the forum asking for help see the reply above yours. I initially thought it was a self-portrait avatar, but on further investigation it seems the poster is a avian fetishist :D :D

It wasn't sarcasm, nor was it any of your suggestions.

It was a very pertinent comment on you.

But just so that there will no longer be any doubt, I'll spell it out for you quite clearly.

You are a liar and a fool, and you are wasting people's time. You are not welcome here - now go away.

You are a liar and a fool, and you are wasting people's time. You are not welcome here - now go away.

I rest my case... :D
banal-shed did someone allow you to leave school prematurely? I didn't realise you owned the forum :rolleyes:
Perhaps if you had a modicum of intelligence, you could use it to help people instead of putting them down.
Regards

We tried to help you, but you wouldn't listen.

What's the point of us wasting our time on you when we could be helping someone who actually tries what we suggest, and is greatful for the advice?

banal-shed did someone allow you to leave school prematurely?
Yes, they did - they allowed me to leave a year early because I was good enough to do my O Levels in a year less than usual, and therefore took my A Levels a year earlier than usual. I was at university before I was 18.

I didn't realise you owned the forum :rolleyes:
I don't, but I do have the right to tell people who lie to me that they are not welcome here.

Perhaps if you had a modicum of intelligence, you could use it to help people instead of putting them down.
"Putting them down"? I, and others, tried to help you, but you ignored and argued with their advice, then became sarcastic and started telling lies.

If you consider that pointing out these truths is "putting you down" then I advise you to look to the person responsible for behaviour which you don't want associated with you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back