Bathroom light is still on when turned off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a problem with my bathroom light! when ever i turn it off it never goes out! It just dim's slightly! Does any one know how i can fix this? I have already tried changing the switch but that didn't do anything!

Thanks Ben

Sponsored Links
You have a dangerous installation in this case. If you don't know what you're looking for or understand electrical installations don't mess with it. I would strongly recommend getting someone suitably qualified in to have a look.

If you did understand you wouldn't be asking this sort of question here. This could also be a potential fire hazard.

The light has worked fine for the last 3 years its just started going dodgy now! :rolleyes: I just thought i'd check to see if any one can help on here first before i call a sparky

Sponsored Links
It would appear that there is an alternative path for power to get to the bulb rather than the switch. This could be due to something nasty like, at worst, insulation breaking down somewhere.

It is likely to be up in the ceiling rose, but as I said, if you don't know what you're looking for it's best to call in someone who does. If you are tempted to have a look remember to to turn the power off first as there's something wrong up there!

It sounds like there may be an earth fault in the ceiling rose, or a insulation problem with the switch cable.

It would be best if you get it checked out by a qualified electrician as soon as possible, this is the kind of thing that can start fires if left as it is.

id try swapping the pull switch for a new one first ]

those things are rather failure prone in my experiance

thanks people

I think its time to call an electrician! preferable a cheap one! any one know one in Gateshead?

great for hanging from ceilings and climbing into small spaces

I got it sorted! The yellow wire was part of a two way switch which was conected to our broken extractor fan! it was our extractor fan which was causing feedback to our bathroom light so we had it disconnected! after i had to remove the fuse from the box to stop it shorting out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back