Bathroom light wiring problem

Sponsored Links
As you say the red wire with earth sleeve is the switch live to the fan. Yellow paint may have been better or red sleeve if you can see it.

There must be an earth in those cables. A bare wire between the red and black. Have a close look in the loft where the wires enter the white outside cable sleeve. As you say it looks like earth sleeving under the cables.

Agreed. The earths are probably all twisted together under there and pushed up above the ceiling. A bit like the reds (lives) have been/.

Sponsored Links
The only way I can make immediate sense of that wiring is if your fan is not a timer model.

Is that right?

If it is, there appears to be an extra black conductor that I cannot account for.

Hmm. Something not right here.

There's 4 cables in the pic but the OP says
Can now see 2 sleeved earth wires pushed up into the ceiling.

smells to me that the cpc on one of those might have been over sleeved and used as a switched live :rolleyes:

OK. Ignore my post above. Its not applicable if its not a timer fan.

Yes, you need to connect the earth wires to your light if it needs an earth.

You may find it easier to find/supply the connector for those earth wires and run a single lead to the light fitting itself.

I found 2 earth wires running into a connector.
Can you see where those earth wires come from? Given that there are four cables (which should mean four earths), I wonder if there might be two earth wires (each coming from a different white cable) inside each of those two bits of green/yellow sleeving - making the four in total.
I take it you mean I can get a small length of earth cable, connect it to the other end of the connector and run it down to the light and that’s fine?
Yes, I imagine that's what he meant - and that would be fine.

Kind Regards, John

That will be too big.

1mm² will do.

Do you not have a piece of cable or flex from which you can remove enough.
(will need to be sleeved if bare wire from T+E)

Hi John, I just looked and it is indeed 4 in total split into 2 sleeves.
Thanks for confirming.
Is this the type of thing I need?
See EFLI's answer - you just need to find some spare/old bit of flex to steal a little of the green/yellow core from (or take the bare earth wire out of a spare bit of twin/earth cable and put that inside some G/Y sleeving).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back