Bathroom light with radar motion sensor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Existing downstairs light is a standard light with pull chord. Suddenly the switch I think has broke so thinking of getting a new light at the same time.

Will a radar motion sensor light wire in the same as existing? Pull chord permanently on and just let the motion sensor do its work.

Is this correct or is there more wiring to be done?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It will, but using one in a bathroom is a terrible idea.
The light will be on far more often than it is now.

It will, but using one in a bathroom is a terrible idea.
The light will be on far more often than it is now.
Why will the light be on more?, I have such a switch in my cloakroom, its brilliant. I just have to remember to tell quests that the light is automatic.

Assuming it works properly, this is what will happen.

1. Someone enters the room, and the light turns on.
  2. They do whatever they went in there to do.
  3. They leave the room.
  4. Some time after #3, having detected no movement of people in the room for a period, the light turns off.

If at #1 and #3 the person uses a switch the light does not stay on after they have left.

I take it there's no window in this bathroom?

Sponsored Links
I just have to remember to tell quests that the light is automatic.
Doesn't that mean that it doesn't work properly?

If it did, i.e. if it turned the light on and off exactly when it should why would anybody be wondering how to work it and thus need to be told that it was automatic?

Assuming it works properly, this is what will happen.

1. Someone enters the room, and the light turns on.
  2. They do whatever they went in there to do.
  3. They leave the room.
  4. Some time after #3, having detected no movement of people in the room for a period, the light turns off.

If at #1 and #3 the person uses a switch the light does not stay on after they have left.

I take it there's no window in this bathroom?
========
Stops the F'in light being left on all day & night. (No windows). Calculate the savings on that.
Also
I have one in a hallway that is quite dark, which makes it a bright place to pass through. The bulb in the hallway is 4w led.
The cloakroom is cfl.

Ah - another person looking for a technological fix to the problem of people not f'in paying attention and not f'in doing what they f'in should.

F'in bad idea.

Ah - another person looking for a technological fix to the problem of people not f'in paying attention and not f'in doing what they f'in should.

F'in bad idea.
Ban, its a wet day. so carry on, I would HATE to meet you in a pub.

Another problem with microwave motion sensors is that they can detect movement through doors and even some thin walls. Expect the light to switch on as people walk past the closed door and not even entering the room.

I can't be bothered to turn off the tv when I go to bed.

Is there a pressure sensor that I could fit to my couch?

I would, of course, also need a timer to override this otherwise the tv would switch off when I went to make a cup of tea - or could I have a delay relay on the pressure sensor and a PIR in the kitchen that would know I'm not going to bed?

I can't be bothered to turn off the tv when I go to bed.

Is there a pressure sensor that I could fit to my couch?

I would, of course, also need a timer to override this otherwise the tv would switch off when I went to make a cup of tea - or could I have a delay relay on the pressure sensor and a PIR in the kitchen that would know I'm not going to bed?
You could buy the gadget that's coming out next April, it looks at yours eyes, if not looking at the screen TV turns off.

Had a shower room motion sensor controlling the light and extractor fan ( no windows).
Worked fine , movement turned it on timer kept it on for a few minutes as long as you don’t stand perfectly still for 5 minutes it remained on while occupied.

our work gents was built using energy saving everything but the sensor was in the main area and stayed on while you pee'd or washed your hands.
if you went for a crap you sat in the cubicle and three mins later the lights went out.
thank gawd for phone lights

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back