Bathroom light woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to renovate bathroom--low voltage lights need to be replaced, and was going to use mains voltage downlighters. Problem being I cannot find/access the existing transformers, as there has been an attic conversion, so I cannot get full access to the loft space. The only cable giving 240v reading is the cable to the ceiling pull cord. That then reads 0 when lights switched on. How can I bypass the transformers, or am I stuck with just replacing existing lights with new low voltage ones. Further point, my girlfriend has asked for dimmable lights to be used......once pull cord cable placed outside bathroom, can I just fit dimmer switch, hoping that the existing transformers are dimmer compatable? The mains voltage light kit that I have purchased, but not been able to fit is dimmable. Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Why would you want to get rid of perfectly good ELV lights and replace them with inferior mains ones?

ELV lights are dimmable.

Not all dimmers will dim all types of transformers, but if you get something like an iQ dimmer you can dim all types of ELV lights.

I cannot find a seperate transformer for the individual lights. I assume there is one or more, but sited away from the chain of lights. There has to be one somewhere as the cables for each light are only carrying 12v. As for choice, I was under impression that the mains ones were better---apparantly not the case then.

Sponsored Links
you can also get a pull cord that dims - this might make the job a bit more straightforward

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...ng_Accessories~Dimmers_All/Dimpull/index.html

SB

Yes but beware of the limitations of these:

Mains Voltage Tungsten
Min 50 watts
Max 250 watts

Mains Voltage Halogen GU10
Min 50 watts
Max 175 watts

Low Voltage ( Electronic Tansformers )
Min 50 watts
Max 175 watts

Not suitable for wirewound transformers
Full brightness 80% of lamp wattage
UNQUOTE

So no good for more than three 50W halogen lamps
therefore not enough for the average bathroom given you only get 40Watts max out of each.

:cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back