Bathroom light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having lived in my house for a year slowly I am working through the rooms decorating etc. The ensuite is next, there is a light above the shower that I want to replace. At first glance I thought it would be an easy job but having a read around it seems not.

The current light has live and neutrel only and is a class II light I want to replace with a new light which is good for zone 1 (ip44) but is a class I so will require an earth. There is no earth cable in the cable used, do I simply need to find a cable near by with an earth on and spur off that?

The light will be using a 230v feed it is not a 12v light with transformer. Which brings me on to the next question, would I be better fitting a transformer in the loft above the light and having 12v light instead? is that as simple as it is? 230v into transformer, transformer to light?

I am sure people will say get a proper electrician in which is fine as I will probably end up doing that but just want an idea of what will be involved to install this new light.

Thanks

Just to add I also read any light in zone 1 needs to be protected by a 30ma RCD, looking in the main consumer unit the downstairs sockets and upstairs sockets have a 30ma RCD but not the upstairs or downstairs lighting so I guess this is something else that will need adding?

Sponsored Links
I think I have answered my own question. A 12v light is the way to go, easier to install as wont need RCD adding in consumer unit.

My next question I hope someone can help me with is I am finding it very difficult to find a light which will fit the already cut hole.

The current light has a cut out diameter of 95mm and overall size of 105mm most 12v down lights are a lot smaller than this, can anyone point me in the right direction of a bigger light that will fill this hole?

If you are fitting, fixing that require and earth, they require an earth.
You can get fittings that don't also as you say 12V maybe the safer option.

It is possible that you have other unearthed lights in you property, that require and an earth, it is just not a requirement of bathrooms!

The regs do indeed request the use of RCDs to protect bath/shower rooms and any newly buried cables within walls less than 50mm and without mechanical protection, regardless of location.

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I have changed quite a few other lights in the house all of which had an earth.

Looking at the shower light I think it was an added extra rather than built with the house by a previous owner. The ensuite is quite small and has a normal light above the toilet/sink and then this 1 is above the actual shower. I guess a preious owner didnt think enough light was getting to them from the other light so added this in.

Sponsored Links
For the large hole, the quick and easy answer is one of these: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p61411
The proper answer is to fill the hole and cut a new hole of the required size.

If the light has been added by someone and is connected to another in the same room, it's likely only that piece of added cable is 2 core. If there is an earth connection at the other light, just replace the cable with a 3 core one.

Thanks for the reply, I have changed quite a few other lights in the house all of which had an earth.
I have to ask, how did you prove there was an earth? A visual does not determined this you need to measure this using test equipment and prove continuity and that there is an earth fault loop.
Looking at the shower light I think it was an added extra rather than built with the house by a previous owner. The ensuite is quite small and has a normal light above the toilet/sink and then this 1 is above the actual shower. I guess a preious owner didnt think enough light was getting to them from the other light so added this in.
It maybe well worth inspecting the cables to see if the earth core is within the sheath and been snipped off, if so you maybe able to repair/extend it, but you still need to prove a path to earth exist!

If you follow the unearthed bit of wire, it might lead you back to a junction box where there is an earth.

I have to ask, how did you prove there was an earth? A visual does not determined this you need to measure this using test equipment and prove continuity and that there is an earth fault loop.
It maybe well worth inspecting the cables to see if the earth core is within the sheath and been snipped off, if so you maybe able to repair/extend it, but you still need to prove a path to earth exist!

While you are quite right a visual does not prove anything on a house built in 1999 I would hope the electrics were upto some kind of standard meaning that earth is good.

I will have a look if an earth cable is present in the sheath but it would still need proving the other end is connected to something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back