Bathroom lights making ELCB Trip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, if anybody can advise please. In our bathroom we have a network of 10 recessed spotlights in the ceiling, a shaver socket and an illuminated mirror. It started a couple of nights ago, that if the bathroom lights were switched on, they would trip, not back at the MCB on the relevant DB board, but at a current operated ELCB. At first, it would only trip if the lights were switched on, but now, the relevant MCB will not reset at all. I identified which particular MCB it is by swiching off all the individual Distribution Boards (there are 3) and MCB's and switching them all back on one by one, till I find the one that trips. Thinking that I may have had a faulty spotlight I have now removed every one and the associated 12v transformer, but the MCB still refuses to reset. I now need to test the shaver socket with the MCB off, the only way I can see to do this is to flatten my shaver off and see if it recharges! Before I call anybody in to test the wiring for me..what else can I do? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Remove the shaver socket and the mirror, terminate the wires safely and see if it switches on.
If it does, the fault is either the shaver socket or the mirror, both of which are easily replaced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back