Bathroom mirror and toothbrush charger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi:

Currently renovating my bathroom.
Question about options for connecting up a mirror and toothbrush charger.

I have a mirror with an integrated light and defogger. I was also going to implement a razor socket but realised the only reason we need it is to charge our electric toothbrushes so I opted to just install a dual electric toothbrush holder/charger and keep things tidy.

My easiest option is to take the supply from a ring main in which i would use a FSU for each. I’ve received mixed feedback as to whether I can install FSUs in the bathroom (outside of zone 2 and well away from potential water splash). The idea was to place them high above the mirror but unsure if condensation from taking a shower is still an issue.

My alternate option is to connect via the light circuit. But I’d still be inclined to use FSUs as if they become faulty I could isolate these and keep the lights and interconnected fire alarm powered in a fault scenario.

Keen on getting feedback from you all on regs / best-practices.

many thanks

Sponsored Links
You only need one FCU for umpteen toothbrush chargers. Personally I would put it outside the bathroom. In fact you only need one charger as toothbrushes only need charging every two weeks or so.

Hi
From the ring circuit it would be fed from below all the way up to a high position on the wall to an FSU and back down to the mirror / toothbrush holder.

From the light circuit will be from above a very short distance to the FSU and then further down into the mirror/toothbrush holder.

either way it’s a stud wall and the plaster board is out so it’s all entirely accessible.

Sponsored Links
E2972347-716D-4837-A503-23801AD87924.jpeg

red box will be the mirror position
Purple will be the toothbrush holder position
Thanks

You only need one FCU for umpteen toothbrush chargers. Personally I would put it outside the bathroom. In fact you only need one charger as toothbrushes only need charging every two weeks or so.

hi thanks
Sorry I should have been clearer. The dual toothbrush charger is one combined unit and only requires one feed so yes one FSU for the one unit which powers/holds two toothbrushes.

my preference would be for any FSU to be in the bathroom if allowable and practical. It will reduce clutter in the bedroom upon which it adjoins

If you feed it from the light circuit you don’t need a FCU at all.
This could be my solution. Do these types of mirrors go faulty often ? Or is the likeliness as much as most things on the lighting circuit therefore no point just isolating this one unit.

This could be my solution. Do these types of mirrors go faulty often ? Or is the likeliness as much as most things on the lighting circuit therefore no point just isolating this one unit.
I have a bathroom cabinet with built in demister and a toothbrush/shave point inside it had it for about 7 years and it's been fine.

I’ve received mixed feedback as to whether I can install FSUs in the bathroom (outside of zone 2 and well away from potential water splash).
Yes, you can have Switched FCUs outside zone 2.
(and unswitched ones in zone 2 although I know that would defeat your object)

Also, there are no zones created by a basin.

What's above the bathroom?

Have you got an extractor fan organised?

hi
Loft is above
An existing extractor is already in place, supplied by the lighting circuit above. Interestingly it does not have an isolation switch. You raise a good point thou, should I put a isolation switch on this? If yes, can I put this in the bathroom high up above the mirror too?

I'd put an isolation point for the cabinet/toothbrush charger in the loft and also have an isolator for the fan up there too. I hope your fan has a run on / timer so it continues to extract the steam in winter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back