Bathroom mirror - flex or solid cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, tried looking for the answer but can't seem to find it.

Would it better to use 1/1.5 flex cable rather than the solid cable from the lighting circuit into the mirror?

Mirrors tend to come with a manufacturers cable enclosure and the solid cable would struggle to go in there.

Cheers in advance :)

Sponsored Links
In the main the hole in a FCU is round and most stuffing glands are round, and much easier to seal a round cable, so I would use flex. And I would have no problems signing the minor works certificate when using flex, although here is Wales a bathroom is a special location and so it would cost me £100 plus vat the register the work, so I would use a scheme member electrician as cheaper.

although here is Wales a bathroom is a special location and so it would cost me £100 plus vat the register the work, so I would use a scheme member electrician as cheaper.
The 'special location' referred to in the Building Regulations is only within the zones (0, 1 & 2) of the bathrooms etc.; this is different than the Electrical Regulations' 'special locations'.

So, the mirror might not be in a 'special location' regarding notification.

It's only been sixteen years.

approved_document_p_2006_edition_with_2010_amendments_wales_only said:
In large bathrooms, the location containing a bath or shower is defined by the walls of the bathroom.
Approved Document P said:
In this regulation “special location” means—
(a)within a room containing a bath or shower, the space surrounding a bath tap within a room containing a bath or shower, the space surrounding a bath tap or shower head, where the space extends—
(i)vertically from the finished floor level to—vertically from the finished floor level to—
(aa)a height of 2.25 metres; ora height of 2.25 metres; or
(bb)the position of the shower head where it is attached to a wall or the position of the shower head where it is attached to a wall or ceiling at a point higher than 2.25 metres from that level; and
(ii)horizontally—horizontally—
(aa)where there is a bath tub or shower tray, from the edge of the bath where there is a bath tub or shower tray, from the edge of the bath tub or shower tray to a distance of 0.6 metres; or
(bb)where there is no bath tub or shower tray, from the centre point where there is no bath tub or shower tray, from the centre point of the shower head where it is attached to the wall or ceiling to a of the shower head where it is attached to the wall or ceiling to a distance of 1.2 metres;
The regulations are different England and Wales, There were the same to start with, but the English version was watered down, but that did not happen to the Welsh version.

Sponsored Links
If you look at the wrong documents, you will be mislead.

I said the definition of a 'special location in the Building Regulations and the Electrical Regulations are different.

THE LAW in Wales:
upload_2021-6-21_15-48-0.png

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/2214/schedule/4/made

This is what Wales has been working with since 2005

Many thanks folks.

I have used wago type connectors for the wiring in the loft, there's about 6 cables. I need a large JB. Wago do a JB but do the connectors need to fit into the slots or can they be left inside the box, obviously they cannot come out as am using 5 lever connectors.

Thanks again.

As I understand it.

If the JB will be accessible for inspection, then you can use any box that is suitable for use as an electrical enclosure and the connectors do not have to be rigidly mounted in the box. You should ensure that stress can't be placed on connections either by using cable restraints where the cables enter the box or by mounting the box and clipping the cables.

If the JB will not be accessible for inspection, then you need to use an approved maintenance free junction box and you need to follow the appropriate installation instructions. For the Wagobox series that means using the correct Wago connectors and installing them in the appropriate positions in the box. Some combinations of Wagobox and Connectors require adapter plates.

Unfortunately Connexbox (makers of the wagobox series) don't do a large box designed purely for the 221-4xx series. The "Wagobox XL" has some slots designed for 221-4xx series connectors and other slots designed for 773 series connectors. You probablly could do what you need with a Wagobox XL but you would have to use a mixture of 221 an 773 series connectors.

Alternatively you could use the "Wagbox XLA" with 222 series connectors (or 221 series connectors with adapter plates).

Last edited:
@plugwash

Many thanks. I prefer to use ideal connectors. But hate the ideal JB. The ideal connectors also fit in the small wago JB.

Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back