Bathroom Mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just after peoples opinions/advice on the following. What’s the best/preferred way to wire a bathroom mirror in, see attached photo.

Connect off wiring as per photo using a 3 terminal Wago and connect the mirror flex to this.

Or

Put into a Wago 221 Wago box and then leave this in the wall and then run a new bit of cable to connect to the mirror flex and join them with inline connectors?

Many thanks

Attachments

• 5BD809F8-7249-473B-A3FF-39902A0636F8.jpeg
    5BD809F8-7249-473B-A3FF-39902A0636F8.jpeg
    265.5 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
I'd opt for the first option. The connections must be enclosed in a box.
There's no point having yet another connection and extra piece of cable as in option 2,

Thanks but what do you mean the connections have to be enclosed in a box, isn’t that the second option? The flex from the mirror is typically at the bottom and it just about reaches to the top so won’t fit into a box in the wall. Do the Wago have to be in a box even if they are accessible? Many thanks.
I'd opt for the first option. The connections must be enclosed in a box.
There's no point having yet another connection and extra piece of cable as in option 2,

Last edited:
ALL connections must be in a box. Any sort of connection.

Suggest you get a longer piece of flex and join this to the existing inside the mirror. Then you'll have a longer length to play with.
The place where the feed cables come through the wall, fit a flush back box there, join the cables in the box and fit a blank plate over the back box.

Sponsored Links
Ok, so you want me to remove the flex from the mirror and put in a longer one?

Fit a standard back box in the wall?

Do you mean a flex outlet rather than a blank plate, otherwise where would the flex go?

Sorry just seemed quite lot for a cable coming out the wall?

Can I just put the Wago box in the wall run a new bit of t&e and join with 221 inline connectors behind the mirror. The inline connectors won’t be in a box though? Can put them onto a Wago carrier?

Thanks again

ALL connections must be in a box. Any sort of connection.

Suggest you get a longer piece of flex and join this to the existing inside the mirror. Then you'll have a longer length to play with.
The place where the feed cables come through the wall, fit a flush back box there, join the cables in the box and fit a blank plate over the back box.
Ok, so you want me to remove the flex from the mirror and put in a longer one?

Fit a standard back box in the wall?

Do you mean a flex outlet rather than a blank plate, otherwise where would the flex go?

Sorry just seemed quite lot for a cable coming out the wall?

Can I just put the Wago box in the wall run a new bit of t&e and join with 221 inline connectors behind the mirror. The inline connectors won’t be in a box though? Can put them onto a Wago carrier?

Thanks again

This shouldn’t be so hard.
One piece of essential information please.
The existing wires. Where will they be when the mirror is fitted.
Above, or behind the mirror?

In the
This shouldn’t be so hard.
One piece of essential information please.
The existing wires. Where will they be when the mirror is fitted.
Above, or behind the mirror?
In the photo if look just where the cable is there is a small line above it, this is the top of the mirror. So they will be just below the top of the mirror. Thanks again.

Here's what I'd do.
Sink back box in the wall. The cable will join in there.

The cable from the mirror you say isnt long enough. Suggest you do not
remove the flex from the mirror and put in a longer one
That will invalidate any guarantee. What I suggested is to pull the existing cable back into the mirror's inside and join a longer piece of flexible cable. As the joint will be enclosed (inside the mirror) you dont need an extra box.
Run this cable behind the mirror to the back box. Dig into the wall below the back box, and run the cable into the bottom of the back box (push out one of the cable entry holes and FIT A GROMMET).
Make the connection in the box. You'll need 3-way if you using Wagos. Screw the mirror to the wall - that will enclose the junction.

Here's what I'd do.
Sink back box in the wall. The cable will join in there.

The cable from the mirror you say isnt long enough. Suggest you do not

That will invalidate any guarantee. What I suggested is to pull the existing cable back into the mirror's inside and join a longer piece of flexible cable. As the joint will be enclosed (inside the mirror) you dont need an extra box.
Run this cable behind the mirror to the back box. Dig into the wall below the back box, and run the cable into the bottom of the back box (push out one of the cable entry holes and FIT A GROMMET).
Make the connection in the box. You'll need 3-way if you using Wagos. Screw the mirror to the wall - that will enclose the junction.
Thanks again.

Apologies if I have misunderstood but as I have a wago junction box spare and a load of T&E, cant I just put the exisiting cables into the wago 221 box then put this into the wall(Cable tie it!). i can then run a new bit of T&E and come out inside the back of the mirror and then then join the T&E to the flex using 221 inline connectors

Cheers and thanks for your patience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back