bathroom move and shower add help please.

• Thread starter bradleigh1977
  • Start date
B

bradleigh1977

Hello, and thanks for taking time to read this.

I am a plasterer, so i am quite compitent in building things etc. Now, My bathroom is quite big, and i want to move it next door into a smaller room, as the space would be better used as a bedroom. it has a toilet, basin, bath, and in the cupboard next to the bath is the hot water cylinder, and header tank. The boiler by the way is underneath the bathroom, in the kitchen.

What i need to know is,

Can i just move the cylinder and tank 6ft sideways into anohter room? All it needs is the pipes extending etc? I was just concerned about pressure etc, and if it needs to be a certain distance from the boiler etc. The taps for the basin and bath can be moved i know, just the cylinder i was being cautios about, as I want to go and rip the walls down, build a room, and fit the bathroom.

Question 2

i want to add a shower above the bath, and ( if all is ok above ) the cylinder will be in a cupboard next to the bath, so in theory, the pipes for the new shower can go through into the cupboard. Now as for the gravity part of a particular power, is there a certail height it needs to be above the shower head? or is it better or easier to have an electric shower that heats itself.

Ideally i want a power shower, but dont want the kids turning on the water and freezing dad in the shower!!! As you can tell, im a bit cluless when it coes to showers etc, so i apologise if thats how i come across.

The header tank cannot go in the loft, as thats a bedroom, the header tank will be about 10 inches above the shower head if that helps?

Whats the best thing to do? Help please--

Bradleigh

If anyone wants help on any plastering etc please ask away!

Sponsored Links
I am a plasterer, so i am quite compitent in building things etc. Now, My bathroom is quite big, and i want to move it next door into a smaller room,
so you'll know that this may well need labc approval? Sorry to mention it, but it's one's "duty" ;) :rolleyes: :LOL:

Can i just move the cylinder and tank 6ft sideways into anohter room? All it needs is the pipes extending etc? I was just concerned about pressure etc, and if it needs to be a certain distance from the boiler etc.
Move it where you like - there are no regs for this.
i want to add a shower above the bath, and ( if all is ok above ) the cylinder will be in a cupboard next to the bath, so in theory, the pipes for the new shower can go through into the cupboard. Now as for the gravity part of a particular power, is there a certail height it needs to be above the shower head? or is it better or easier to have an electric shower that heats itself.
the only thing that matters is the height of the cold water tank (the hot water cylinder's position has negligible effect)- this should be ideally at least 2 and a half foot above the shower head for it to stand a chance of giving a decent flow. So 10" isn't going to work without a pump:cry:

Ideally i want a power shower, but dont want the kids turning on the water and freezing dad in the shower!!!
It's pretty unlikely that you'll run out of water unless you have a very small cylinder. Whether you go for a power shower (basically a pump) or an electric shower (instantaneous water heater), as you are well aware, all electrics need to be done by a pro. Sorry again

The header tank cannot go in the loft, as thats a bedroom, the header tank will be about 10 inches above the shower head if that helps?
no space above this for a coffin tank?

whatshe best thing to do?
Weigh up the cost of the electrics (assuming your water has sufficient pressure anyway)

thanks for the reply, as for the electrics thats no problem. the hot water is a big tank so theres no worries there. and the cold water header tank is the only problem, there is no room. I sort of worked it out by looking, that the bottom of the tank ( and is about 3ft long, by a foot high, by a foot deep ) would only be about 10 inches above where the shower head would be. I havn't any problem buying a pump, if thats what i need.

So if im correct, i get a power shower ( thats has a pump, or do i need a seperate one ) and the hot water is pulled from the cylinder, and the cold from the tank? with the pump forcing it through?

Im just building the room, the plumber will be doing everything, just wanted to buy all the mai bits first i.e shower, pump, suite etc.

Thanks again

You can use a shower with an integral pump OR a separate pump.
Your problem might be that the CW header tank is very small.
1ft high is tiny - effective use probably only about 6".
In cm, 15 x 90 x 30, say.
That's about 40 litres, and a pumped shower will be pulling mebbe 20 litres/minute. The mains has to be good enough to make sure you don't run it out while showering.
This could all go pear shaped. You need to watch the pipe sizes too, so I'd call the plumber in to have a look, sooner rather than later.

Sponsored Links
i can always get another header tank, and the mains is good too. the reason i;ve come on here is because ive been waiting for my mate, the plumber, to come and tell me what i can and can't do. Now i know. The main issue was actually if i could move everything to the next room easyily enough, now i know i can, i can build the room, then leave it to the plumber to run the pipes and move the cylinder. Thanks again for everyones input.

bradleigh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back