Bathroom near Kitchen - Building Regs??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are (or rather I am) putting a new kitchen into our converted 1 bed flat. As it was, the hall led straight into the kitchen through a door frame but no door, and the bathroom also leads off of the hall just before the " doorway " to the kitchen. I have since taken this door frame out to open up the kitchen into the hall as open plan. We originally had a quote to have this done by our plasterer/builder but decided for the expense and effort, it was far easier to do it myself (took about an hour). Now we have the same plasterer back to skim the walls in the kitchen and he is now saying this is illegal!? Is this true, although the bathroom is near the kitchen, it actually opens into the hall, would there be an issue with this when selling the property do you think??

many thanks for any advice,

Mike.

Sponsored Links
Really, why wasn't this picked up when we bought the property, there was a door frame but no door and the surveyor didn't mention it?? All I have done is remove the frame? Would it make any difference if the flats were converted before this regulation was passed?

Thanks again!

bathjobby said:
You need to have 2 doors between them.

I thought that was no longer the case. Don't have my regs to hand, but seem to remember that there is no longer a need for a "hallway".

Maybe wrong thought :!:

Sponsored Links
Also, my mother in laws kitchen has a cloakroom toilet coming off of it via only one door, would this be against regulations or is it just bathrooms that count??

i think the rule is so long as there is a place to wash your hands before you pass through an area thats used to prepare food then you are ok , it was changed about 3 years ago IIRC

i think there may be some regs about ventilation , it either has to have a window or have mechanical extraction .

i'm sure someone on here knows more and can give us the proper answer

Can anyone shed anymore light??? If the kitchen and all other rooms come off the hall, can I have an open plan or not??

You only need one door between a bathroom/toilet and kitchen, as long as there is a wash basin in the room. New or refitted bathrooms also require an extractor fitted even if there is a window fitted.

Great, I prefer to have a door on my bathroom, I take it this will do! We had the bathroom re-fitted two years ago without a fan.

Thanks everyone!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back