Bathroom paint advice-not wanting to use "bathroom pain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We just about to have our bathroom refitted. It was a horrible 70s or 90s corner suite in beige with matching beige bathroom paint which hadn't been particularly well applied to, well, anywhere. Lumps, drips, flakes, mould and all sorts...

There's no more mould, as we do use the window when warm enough, but have had a super duper humidity controlled fan which is left on trickle at all times. Now the steam doesn't even get a chance to settle on the walls where as previously it was running down the walls for half the day causing the flaking and mould growth...and no more damp smells!

I've sanded it all back as much as I can and we now have nice smooth walls again. My wife wants it repainting in white since its a small room to increase the lighting.

So far I've done a ought first coat in one emulsion we had leftover to give her an idea of what it will look like in white.

Now I need to select the best type of paint to finish it in properly, and desperately don't want to use bathroom paint, as I, (a) hate the way it doesn't apply nicely, and (b) hate the finish of it!

Is emulsion fine? All the wet areas around the bath, shower over bath and sink are being tiled appropriately, I.e. full height for shower, splash back for sink etc.

Or should we still consider something stronger like eggshell finish?

Sponsored Links
Surely there's a decorator on here who can help me?

We don't understand why you can't apply bathroom paint.

Ok, so at least that's some response. As I stated though, I don't like the finish of it, and hate the painting of it. What would be the next best thing?

Sponsored Links
Bathroom paint is pretty much just waterbased eggshell.

Is it the sheen level you dislike? Some such as Little Greene are more matt.

Standard matt emulsion would be a problem if you get condensation when showering etc. It also has the disadvantage of being difficult to clean.

Alternatively Farrow & Ball Modern emulsion is fine for bathrooms but has slightly more sheen than matt emulsion but is scrubbable http://www.farrow-ball.com/pws/client/images/content/advicesheets/UK_Modern_Emulsion.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back