bathroom plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
few questions on bathrooms if anyone can help,

the shower is enclosed by 1 stud wall and 2 external walls, stud wall is fitted with aquapanel, due to the size of the room the 2 external walls cannot be fitted with studs to support this, if its studded the size of the alcove will not accomodate a bath or shower.

the only viable alternative is to dot and dab plasterboard to these walls- plan is to use mr board with advice from a plasterer friend to then skim and seal with bal wp1 or similar.

logic in skimming is apparantly this makes it easier if the tiles are removed later (but aware its not as strong a bond) as it doesnt completely wreck the board.

my questions are:
do you use wp1 before skimming or after?
anyone know of aquapanel that you can dot and dab?
any other suggestions on how to do this (please dont recommend studs as i've already been through this, unless you know of a way to stud it with half inch deep studs!)

thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Ask about a "tanking kit" at your tile shop..Thats the way to go... ;) I would put this post on the tiling forum if I were you....

cheers, will move it there shortly.

stopped off at a couple of places today.

2 types recommended

bal kit wp1
homelux membrane.

prob use the membrane on walls, but was advised that using this its likely to completely wreck the boards if you decide to re tile. any way to minmise this damage so that you dont need to put new boards up each time.

also neither of these are really suitable for the ceiling directly above the shower as they dont provide a smooth paintable surface - is there anythin out there i could use on the ceiling or would skimming and bathroom paint be enough?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Dont worry about ruining the boards as if you just tiled on it they would ruin them if you tried getting them off anyway. As for the ceiling just paint a couple of coats of bathroom paint on it.. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back