Bathroom plumbing And pressure pumps.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am trying to work out the best way to introduce a mixer shower with pump to replace an awful electric shower that is currently installed that feeds from the mains water.

I have cut away part of the ceiling and have found the original 22mm hot and cold feed that come down from the bathroom upstairs and so I think this is a good start.

The hot water takes ages to circulate the house I.e. About 40 seconds to get to the kitchen and so I am thinking about installing a pump to feed the whole house as opposed to a specific shower one.

The dilemma I have is that the cold tap feeds and the upstairs toilet are powered from the same gravity feeds and I don't think it would be wise to have the pump driving water to the toilet?

My ultimate question is:

Should I replace the gravity cold feeds to the sinks and toilets with a main water feed and then connect a pump into the airing cupboard which would then feed the upstairs bathroom (hot tap and bath), the downstairs bathroom (hot tap and shower) and the kitchen sink hot or is there a pump that I can connect that is ok to power the toilets?

The only reason I am thinking of changing the cold tap feeds is from a hygiene perspective. Am I being silly?

I have researched this but can't find the answer to this. I will get a plumber out but want to understand what is best rather than what is easiest.

Sponsored Links
To give you an answer of any potential value would mean knowing a lot more about your current setup, e.g. boiler, size of hot water cylinder and cold water tank.

However, you can get a whole house pump. Stuart Turner are my preference. With regard to the toilet, just make sure that the inlet valve is suitable for a high pressure feed. Worst case, change the valve. Best case swap the red plastic "nozzle" insert for a white plastic (high pressure) one. Will almost certainly need new feeds from the hot cylinder and cold tank.

I'd strongly advise you to discuss the whole matter with a good plumber, and take his or her advice on the best approach. Only the person in front of your current system can really offer you any positive options.

To give you an answer of any potential value would mean knowing a lot more about your current setup, e.g. boiler, size of hot water cylinder and cold water tank.

However, you can get a whole house pump. Stuart Turner are my preference. With regard to the toilet, just make sure that the inlet valve is suitable for a high pressure feed. Worst case, change the valve. Best case swap the red plastic "nozzle" insert for a white plastic (high pressure) one. Will almost certainly need new feeds from the hot cylinder and cold tank.

I'd strongly advise you to discuss the whole matter with a good plumber, and take his or her advice on the best approach. Only the person in front of your current system can really offer you any positive options.

Thanks. I will search check a trade for a good reputation plumber.

Sponsored Links
Not everyone on Check-a-trade is as reputable as they might appear (allegedly). You'd be better off looking on www.buywithconfidence.gov.uk, which is run by Trading Standards rather than a subscription service

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back