Bathroom plumbing - no pressure / airlock in morning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all I'm new to the forum. I have recently completely ripped out my bathroom and started from scratch. Everything has gone well, but I have one problem which I cannot seem to find an answer to through searching on google.

I have fitted a salamander RSP50 pump to power the shower, bath tap and basin taps, I have now discovered this was the wrong pump to fit as it doesn't have a bypass loop and will eventually burn out. So new pump on order (Salamander RHP75). But the problem, I think is more down to my pipework arrangement than the pump.

Each morning I go to turn the shower mixer on and get no flow at all, either hot or cold. The shower is the first utility on the pipe work. To get the shower to work I have to turn the basin or bath taps on to draw the water through.

Now to explain my setup, I have a CWS tank in the loft (50 Gallon), feeding the cold supply to the pump via 22mm pipe. The pump is sitting at the base of the cylinder. The hot supply comes through a top entry flange (salamander) and down to the pump via 22mm pipe. The outlet pipes are 15mm and go up into the loft, along the ceiling and down into the bathroom.

My initial thought is an airlock. I had a non-return valve fitted on the hot outlet, as suggested in the salamander literature, but I took it off as I thought it may be restricting the flow.

I am wondering whether its because I have this up and over type layout that is cause these issues and what would resolve them?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
your more likey not getting enough natural flow from the shower to kick the pump in.
cws to low.

your more likey not getting enough natural flow from the shower to kick the pump in.
cws to low.

hi seco, thanks for the reply. Tank is as high as I can get it, it's sitting just under a metre above the joists. Is there something I can do to get around it?

you could try and put and put 15mm auto air vents on the got and cold were it bends down from loft into bathroom. But i suspect your pump my be set up wrong positive and negative pressure. Read instructions might be able to switch it over some have a dual pump. Some are self sensing.

Sponsored Links
also im not sure if you have but you need some form of essex valve on cylinder.

RSP pumps can't be switched over to neg head thats an ESP pump.

how long are your loft pipe runs ?

I haven't got an Essex flange fitted but have got a top entry s type flange fitted, which I have been told is suitable. Pipe runs in the loft are approx 2.5m.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back