Bathroom project - attaching tile backer boards to solid brick. Primer ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I am currently doing a wet room project. I have purcashed foam core backer boards, 10mm for walls and 6mm for floor for The Wetroom Store. In the instructions one method of fixing the boards to solid walls is tile adhesive, and attach in a brickwork pattern. I have Mapei Keraquick rapid set S1 flexible adhesive, the company said it's fine to attach the boards directly to brick, but will likely need a SBR based primer, and be clean/free of dust, and to refer to the adhesive manufacturers instructions. There isn't much info regarding using the adhesive on brick so that's why I'm here. Just wondering if I'm ok doing this ??

Any help much appreciated

Andy

Sponsored Links
I'm no pro, but I painted the bare brick with watered down sbr, then dot and dabbed the boards, with 6 mechanical fixings per board, with washers.

Don't be stingy with the dots, you don't want the boards flexing if tiles are going on them.
If you've hacked plaster off back to brick, think about insulating the outside walls (especially if it's an older house with solid walls)

Sponsored Links
I used 40mm marmox boards to get at least some insulation, whilst still being able to fit the bath in

Edit- I also ran a bead of ct1 along each edge of the board (think like mortarting bricks together) to make sure the joints are waterproof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back