Bathroom refit - but whats this ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I spent a 'fun' day on Friday beating the xxx out of our old bathroom, and am now back to the studwork / blocks and ready for the rebuild to start. However, what is this ??? It comes stright down from above, chased slightly into the block, curls round a nail and heads perpendicular into the ceiling behind the plasterboard. It feels like its metal, but I can't be sure, and its red. What is it ?

Its a three storey house, built by Bovis about 10 years ago. There is a double socket in the room above at about this position, but its hard to be sure its directly above. Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
What material is it made from? Is it solid or does it move when nudged?

It feels rigid, but it moves very slightly when poked. It feels like metal, with a slight bit of corrossion on the bend - this could be from condensation buildup maybe? Scratching it with my nail I'm 90% sure its metal and not plastic, but cant be certain. There is also a BT socket in the room above - could it be for that ?? All other pipework is white pushfit, and the electrics in the bathroom that I have uncovered are all normal grey T&E and not armoured or covered in any way.

It's definitely nothing to do with the BT socket. Think you'll have to reveal more of it to find where it goes.

Sponsored Links
Hmm - not sure if I can without making too much of a mess. I'm not planning on removing the ceiling plaster, or doing any work in the wall above. I can prob just board and tile back over it, but I'm intrigued to know what it is now!

First of all you need to figure out what material it is made of.

Get a fridge magnet!

tap it with a coin..

Get a simple inductive sensor that can check for an induced magnetic field from electrical cables without having to cut it open.

Its a weird colour, a weird size and its path is very bizarre so it could be anything.

I've just chipped of the bit of plasterboard next to it, and have got a much better look. For a start, it is solid metal and it looks like the red is painted and not a plastic cover. I can srape it off easily to reveal a dull metal below - its like a iron bar. Also, after the curl, it stops and does not go parallel to the ceiling and under the ceiling plasterboard - it just looks like a hook. I can wiggle it about. Looking up the blockwork to above, I cant be sure, but it looks like it turns 90 degrees and into the block above.

Any further thoughts ?

ginger - maybe it's just a metal wall hook for some former use - S&M den perhaps (shackles?).

If it had been hollow then could have been former water or gas pipe.

shackles ?! Nah - they're in the loft! :)
Could it have been a bucket hook or something slung over the blocks as the house was built that someone forgot to move before it was fixed in place ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back