Bathroom refit - some waste/pipework and basin advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. New here. Lurked for a while. I am about to start a bathroom refit. I have two small bathrooms that are either side of a very thin (around 70mm max) stud wall. The idea is that the bathrooms are essentially mirrored either side of the wall.

I have an issue where I am using wall mounted mixer taps back to back and the thin wall doesn't give quite enough space to do this.

There is also an issue of where to run the water and waste from the basins. The main soil pipe (in red in the pic) is in a space to the left hand walls (as are the water pipes) and there are joists (in blue on the pic) that run parallel with this along the floor of both bathrooms. I guess I could slightly notch the joists an run the pipe work like that but I'm a little reluctant to do this given the joists are very wide (5.5m). This would also still leave the issue of back to back mixer taps where there isn't quite enough room.

I thought the best solution would be to build a small bit of wall joined onto the existing stud using 50mm x 50mm or 38mm x 38mm timbers. I could then chop a horizontal chunk out of this and run the pipes in the gap prior to plasterboarding over. The small wall would only be around 200mm high so there would be a mini ledge (I can't take the wall all the way to the ceiling as there are lightwell windows high up of which the frames are already pretty much flush with the existing wall.

Also, am I ok to run the two basins into a single 32mm waste? Or 2 x 32mm wastes that then meet near the soil pipe? Or a single 40mm waste?

All help/advice most appreciated. Going to be updating here with progress once the project is underway.
Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 14.44.08.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 14.44.31.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 14.44.46.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 14.45.09.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 15.09.18.png

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back