Bathroom shower panels

As for tiles vs panels it depends on the overall look you want. Our bathroom was mainly tiled so the panels added a nice contrast / feature. Had we gone tiles all round it would have looked a little too tile-ey…. if that’s such a word :confused:

Sponsored Links
I'm specifically wondering about the seal strips that go at the bottom i.e. the junction to the shower tray (or bath).

Do people recommend using them or just butting up against the tray?

I just butt them up to the tray...great care, plenty of silicone and the weight of the panels squishes the sealant out nicely.
John :)

Did you use the sealing strips at the bottom or just silicone in?
I followed the panel makers recommendation which was iirc a 10mm bedding of the PU colour matched sealant they provided.
I did use a sealant strip on the back of the shower tray to seal it to the wall and the panels, just as a belt and braces thing. But you can't see that, it's just behind the panel.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have read these panels can be fixed direct to the wooden frame if I remove the plasterboard so I end up with a bigger shower area, is this right and advisable please?

Hi, thanks for your replies so far.

I have just taken delivery of my stuff, I have celling panels, wall panels and a shower tray, what order are these done in please? I was thinking, ceiling, tray, walls.

Still undecided on how to fix the panels to the wall, do I remove the tiles and risk damaging the plasterboard? Or can I remove the plasterboard and fix direct to the stud work, sorry, I know I have asked this question before but I just need to make sure please.

Thanks all

As for tiles vs panels it depends on the overall look you want. Our bathroom was mainly tiled so the panels added a nice contrast / feature. Had we gone tiles all round it would have looked a little too tile-ey…. if that’s such a word :confused:
good move - the fad for "subway " tiles remind me of Victorian Gent's WC and asylums;)

Hi, thanks for your replies so far.

I have just taken delivery of my stuff, I have celling panels, wall panels and a shower tray, what order are these done in please? I was thinking, ceiling, tray, walls.

Still undecided on how to fix the panels to the wall, do I remove the tiles and risk damaging the plasterboard? Or can I remove the plasterboard and fix direct to the stud work, sorry, I know I have asked this question before but I just need to make sure please.

Thanks all
If you remove the tiles, you will more than likely damage what's behind if its just plasterboard.

But you can cut out damaged sections and replace or over board with suitable ply first.

Personally I wouldn't fix the panels direct to studwork as it's better to get a wide spread surface area for the adhesive to stick to.

I removed tiles, cut out damaged sections of plasterboard to the stud, replaced with 12mm marine ply and then used a solvent free grab adhesive in golf sized balls onto the substrate before pushing the panels on.

Thanks all for your replies so far, really helpful thanks.

Next predicament, had a look at the shower tray instructions and it says to build a wooden frame and lay it on top of wood and sand & cement, I didn’t subscribe to this lol, it comes with a leg set and I thought it would just sit on the legs? What’s the point of the legs if it sits on the wood?

Helllllppppppp please.

Hi, are these backer boards suitable for fixing to my now bare stud work (plasterboard removed) for fixing the shower wall panels to please?

Click meeeee

Sorry, here you go

Attachments

• 2081E954-998E-4CDB-80B8-AC1539FA60E7.png
    2081E954-998E-4CDB-80B8-AC1539FA60E7.png
    950 KB · Views: 30
I would have thought so, but that would be a question for the manufacturer/supplier really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back