Bathroom single light to 4 ceiling based LED spots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm after a bit of advice. I currently have a single central light in the bathroom, its actually a triple spotlight with LED bulbs. I'm looking to replace this single unit with 4 sunken LED ceiling based spots. Can I guess daisy chain off this lighting cable to each individual light or do I need to sort of spider off from this central point ? I'm assuming I use standard lightning cable for these runs as the new light fitting appear to have a transformer attached. I also have an LED mirror I wish to add, can I just tag it on the end ? And will I be able turn on the mirror without the bathroom lights on ? Responses without acronyms most welcome. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Either method can be used and each has its own merits depending on what routes you have available for cables. However there is more to it that just fitting the spots. You need to ensure your complying with regs in terms of fire, moisture getting into the void, whether there's insulation above them, also will you be able to access the junction box/connectors (if not, use maintenance free connectors). Also with transformers the thought about them overheating/burning out or just going faulty etc.. There's probably other things I have not mentioned yet too.

As for the mirror, what do the manufacturers instructions say as to how its needs to be wired?

I'm sure @ban-all-sheds will be along very soon to talk you out of having spotlights though :D

I'll do it.

Can I guess daisy chain off this lighting cable to each individual light or do I need to sort of spider off from this central point ?
Either.

I'm assuming I use standard lightning cable for these runs as the new light fitting appear to have a transformer attached.
1mm² Twin & Earth or smaller flex will be fine.
Lightning cable will be far too unwieldy.

I also have an LED mirror I wish to add, can I just tag it on the end ?
Connect it properly.

And will I be able turn on the mirror without the bathroom lights on ?
If you wire it so that you may do that, then yes.

Responses without acronyms most welcome.
OK ISDMB.

I know people are different but - what a lot of work to cock-up the ceiling for no benefit.

I like these
upload_2017-3-17_15-20-14.png

Looks like the Sun - or Moon.

I like those too. Perhaps considered boring and old-fashioned, but there's a lot to be said for light fittings that actually light a room.

The OP has perhaps already found that even directable spots don't do a brilliant job of this? Downlight spots even less so. Consider floods if you really want recessed lighting.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Wow thanks for the responses. Following your advice I have decided not to use a lightning cable and will go down the twin & earth route instead. I have easy uncluttered access to the loft space directly above the bathroom and these lights are bathroom graded and appear well insulated/ Below are the comprehensive instructions
for the LED mirror. Appears easy enough by doesn't suggest whether I can or cant use it with light switch off. I guess I need a proper modern style "chocolate box", thinking of a central one and then five legs off that. Any recommendations on brand or style would be appreciated. Thanks once again guys n girls
upload_2017-3-17_16-39-13.png

i

Cannot tell from the diagram, but does the cabinet have a switch for its lights?
If so, you need to run the supply to the cabinet from a permanent live neutral and earth somewhere up in the loft. Then you can switch on the cabinet lights separately.

The lights will require a neutral and SWITCHED live (plus earth). A photo of the wiring in your existing light might help here......

PS, its usually easier to run wires from light 1 to 2 to 3 to 4... etc, rather than bring them all back to a big central junction box "octopus style".

Does your LED mirror have its own light switch. Is that what you're asking, whether this can work with the light switch on or off? If that's what you want then you wouldn't wire it through the light switch with the rest of the lights. You'd want a separate fused spur either direct from the light circuit or from the ring main. I'll let the pros argue about which would be most appropriate and meet the regulations for bathroom zones.

It may appear that way but transformers are rarely used these days. SMPTs are mostly used.

You'd be better off using 240 volt LEDs though.
Either way would be slightly weird for a fitting with LED lamps, but definitely could be they just took an old halogen spot light and shoved LED lamps in it. If so, you at least have the benefit of it being the retailers responsibility if there are compatibility problems, buzzing, flickering, etc. If you're in real luck, that box is a true LED driver but that's not common. Otherwise a mains voltage fitting would offer better flexibility and compatibility for replacing lamps or fitting different ones at some point.

If you don't care about any of that and want the fitting you've got, it is at least relevant whether each of the four lights has its own little box attached, or a single one for all four. A single box pretty much forces your hand on the wiring arrangements although individual ones for each light are far more common nowadays.

These are the downlights I have bought, seem pretty solid and pass the bathroom test. Maybe its not got a transformer then. Also the LED does have a touch sensitive on / off button built into the mirror. Anyhow Ill give it a whirl next week, cheers

upload_2017-3-18_14-24-18.png

I like those too. Perhaps considered boring and old-fashioned, but there's a lot to be said for light fittings that actually light a room.
But perhaps not by the OP, who appears to prefer lights so bad at actually lighting up the room that he'll need 4 of them in there.[/QUOTE]

I love it:

screenshot_1193.jpg

Let's have some die-cast outdoor lights made from poor quality zinc or Mazak - see how we get on.

these lights are bathroom graded
Presumably that means they have the right IP rating and the maker says they are suitable for use in Zone <whatever>?

That only applies to the electrical integrity of the light in damp/wet environments. See this for an illustration (deliberately extreme to make the point) of how a light can have as high an IP rating as you like and yet offer no barrier for air passing through it into the loft.

and appear well insulated
Do you mean it's enclosed by a thick layer of thermal insulation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back