Wiring ceiling LEDs with a pir in bathroom HELP/ADVICE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Doing a complete refit in the bathroom and thought it would be a good idea to have some low voltage LEDs for mood lighting. Have brought some led kits which are 15mm ceiling recessed which are are wired and comes with a transformer with a 13amp plug. Idea is to have these scattered around the ceiling and bath panel (if possible?) with a ceiling flush pir sensor to activate them and if possible a separate on/off switch. We currently have a mains extractor fan fitted to ceiling (next to existing ceiling light) with a on/off key switch outside bathroom.

Question is how/where do I plug these in?? Do I use some kind of junction box and run a cable from the existing light fitting?? I'm also going to get a led mirror and how/where do I power that from??

I will still keep the "normal" pull cord and existing light (not connected to pir)

I'm also going to install a new electric shower over the bath, which I know I have to run 10mm t&e cable to consumer box with a 45amp fuse

Any help/advice needed and appreciated

Thanks
Richard

Sponsored Links
the problem you have is all electrical works within the kitchen bathroom or outside that are new works need to be certified to part "p" you need to inform building control off your actions tell them you wish them to certify and pay the costs off certification
or get an electrician who is part "p" registered to do the work

Richard, without seeing the exact details it is not possible to offer you safe advice. What you want to do is entirely possible but it needs to be done in full compliance with electrical regs/Part P. Look up ELV and SELV and that alone will encourage you to get in a professional.

You really do need to get a registered electrician in for this.

Thanks for replies.

I will definately be getting a qualified electrician in before I do anything. I have a couple of mates who are qualified.

With the shower I will chase in the wall and run the cable to consumer unit and get a pro in to connect it up and check it all ect, which is what I done with parents bathroom. Parents house is exact same as our as live on sane street so cable route will be the same.

Biggest problem/hurdle I can see is powering the low voltage 13amp led transformer. From what I have read so far it sounds like I need to come off the ring main and have a socket up in loft area (loft is only used for storage). Btw the LEDs are ip44 rated and are daisy chained and I have 20 of them, all are 15mm.

As said no work will be done until I get a pro in for help/advice

Thanks
Richard

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies.

I will definately be getting a qualified electrician in before I do anything. I have a couple of mates who are qualified.
Sounds like a good plan.

With the shower I will chase in the wall and run the cable to consumer unit and get a pro in to connect it up and check it all ect, which is what I done with parents bathroom. Parents house is exact same as our as live on sane street so cable route will be the same.
The cable route is but one of the issues, what about cable size, MCB size, double pole isolator switch and location of RCD etc?

No self certifying electrician can certify this work to the Local Authority Building Control because they were not involved in the design, installation and inspection and testing of this new circuit.

If you have done this before at your parents house then I would doubt that the LABC have been informed especially as what you have done will breach BS7671 regarding following manufacturers instructions.

Biggest problem/hurdle I can see is powering the low voltage 13amp led transformer. From what I have read so far it sounds like I need to come off the ring main and have a socket up in loft area (loft is only used for storage). Btw the LEDs are ip44 rated and are daisy chained and I have 20 of them, all are 15mm.
You appear to be designing the circuit - listen to your own advice outlined below

As said no work will be done until I get a pro in for help/advice
That is what you should do now rather than outlining your ideas here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back