Bathroom Sink Bottle Trap Leak After Removal & Refit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
A basic question I'm afraid but I'm not sure what size part I need.
Basically I had a slow draining sink in the bathroom. I removed the trap, de-gunked it and refitted, however I then had a drip which seems to be coming from the top connection.
The black washer/seal does seem to have perished somewhat and isn't a particularly tight fit so I'm fairly certain this is the cause, but I'm not sure what size/specification I need. I've seen 32mm and 40mm washer sets (from Screwfix which is my nearest store) but I don't know whether to measure the washer or the pipe, or the external or internal width. Unfortunately it's more tricky than it otherwise might be as access to the connections is behind the sink pedestal and is tricky to reach.
Any advice welcome! Picture attached in case it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_1358.jpg
    IMG_1358.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
Should be 1.25”, so the 32mm one.

Looks like a McAlpine trap. To be honest, I'd just buy a new trap.

Thanks both. For the price, I take your point about just getting a new one!

my only concern is whether the inlet and outlet will be in the same positions relative to each other - are these standard or might the height of the drainage pipe need to be adjusted?

thanks again.

Sponsored Links
my only concern is whether the inlet and outlet will be in the same positions relative to each other - are these standard or might the height of the drainage pipe need to be adjusted?
Take old one along for comparison, if you're struggling to find a match, look at the telescopic type, (the inlet is adjustable to allow the outlet height to be varied.)

Try taking the top washer off and turn it around and retry, works sometimes. Usually these traps are tightened up too much and it compresses the seal, mis-shaping it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back