Bathroom Sink waste leaking.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Your opinion would be very welcome.

A new bathroom was installed last year and everything still appeared great! Until now. The waste leaks when a sink half-full/full of water is released by the plug. We have only noticed this now, perhaps because we normally use the sink with running water (when there is no leak), or perhaps something in the drawers caused the waste fittings to move? The leak is coming from a moveable pipe connection arrowed in the photo below. What I need to know is: Should I use adhesive to seal the connection? Currently there is no adhesive (as far as I can tell without removing the fittings). Or what??

bathroom sink.jpg

waste pipes_LI.jpg

Sponsored Links
Being so new is it under warranty?
That joint will have a rubber ring as the seal which may of been greased to aid the fitting of it. I am not a fan of flexiable pipes and note the top one looks like it is under load.

Hi Just Pumps, Many thanks for your reply.

The top one is the overflow so I won't worry about that one.

Regarding the leak, If I take the fitting to pieces I will find a rubber seal that may be misplaced? Where can I get a suitable replacement for the fitting? I have had a look on Screwfix.com and couldn't identify such a thing. What might it be called?

Hi Just Pumps, Many thanks for your reply.

The top one is the overflow so I won't worry about that one.

Regarding the leak, If I take the fitting to pieces I will find a rubber seal that may be misplaced? Where can I get a suitable replacement for the fitting? I have had a look on Screwfix.com and couldn't identify such a thing. What might it be called?
Sorry I don`t recognise the pipes, others may help with that.

Sponsored Links
The waste/ trap/ overflow combo is one supplied with the sink / cabinet with drawers. They are unbranded as far as I recall ( got part of one in the workshop ,will take a look to check) I think the supplier was Victoria plumb but not 100% sure.
Anyway the seal will need to be removed and taken to a reputable plumbers merchant to match.

Thanks Just Pumps.

Hi Terryplumb. The sink and cabinet are from B and Q. I think the best way forward is as you suggest, take the seal to a plumbers merchant. If I'm being a nuisance, I'm sorry, but where might that be?

I have no idea where your local plumbers merchant is !!
The seals are within the extending tube indicated by your arrow ,so you will need to disassemble it all.
Just looked at the parts I have and there is no manufacturers ID.
Typically B&Q have a lot of their stuff bespoke manufacturerd offshore,wherever it's cheapest presumably ,and never carry back up parts.

Sorry Terry, I thought maybe some chain of plumbers merchants or something. These are available from B and Q (see image)

5055149928574_07c

FloPlast Polypropylene (PP) Seal, Pack of 4

Start by taking it apart, cleaning and take a look at the seal itself, if it looks damaged in any way then you will have to take it with you to find a match whether that be a B&Q or a small plumbers shop.

I doubt any of those seals will do the job. If I remember correctly there are two "O" rings in the extending bit that you have ,maybe just one ( my memory's not what it used to be )!!
And the only way you can establish what you need is to take it apart.

Could be the bottle trap can' t cope with the flow so backs up causing the leak higher up. I prefer P or S traps (so called u bends) which don't block so easily.
Try cleaning the bottle trap just improve things while you are looking for the seal.

Hi Guys.

I cleaned the pipes and fittings up and reasssembled them. This time the leak was from the black seal around the sink outlet! I tightened it by screwing the plug fitting in and the leak has disappeared. I think this was the problem all along, even looking at the photo above there appears to be spots of water on the black seal edge. :oops::rolleyes:.

Thanks to all of you for your assistance. I hate going in blind in case I totally f-up the job.

The plug screw tight seal doesn't seem to be the cleverest idea though! I'll keep an eye on it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back