Bathroom Spotlights Flickering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a bathroom light fitting which has three 60 watt spotlights. recently one went out so we repaced all three as they were quite a few years old. They are now flickering and go off and on intermittently and randomly. I have taken the fitting down and checked all the conections which are fine. There are no components inside the fitting that could fail so does anyone know what could be wrong? Is it possibly just a bad batch of lamps?

Any advice on how to proceed or any tests that can be done would be appreciated.

Ben

Sponsored Links
Loose wire somewhere or switch not making good contact.

Try a different switch first.

Don't forget to turn off the power.

Thanks for that, I will take a look at the pull switch.

If it was the switch would it not affect all three lamps at the same time, either all three on or all three off? To clarify at the moment lamp A is off and B & C are on. Earlier B was off and A & C were on. Any combination of one or two can be off and any combination of one or two on. If you still think this could still be the switch then I will change it.

Ben

Yes would that be different.

In that case I would suspect the light fitting itself - where the bulbs actually screw in - do they screw in?.
Probably a bit flimsy and not making good contact

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, I will take a look at the pull switch.
If it was the switch would it not affect all three lamps at the same time, either all three on or all three off? To clarify at the moment lamp A is off and B & C are on. Earlier B was off and A & C were on. Any combination of one or two can be off and any combination of one or two on. If you still think this could still be the switch then I will change it.
Are these spotlights 240v or are they 12v - in other words is there is a tranformer(s) in the circuit?

They are 240 volt, no transformers or any other components and the lamps are 60 watt screw in.

Ben

Personally i'd try carefully bending the contacts in the holders towards where the bulb will touch them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back