Flickering bathroom spotlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we have a spotlight unit in our bathroom containing 3 bulbs. Some months ago 1, then 2 of the bulbs stopped working and replacing them did not seem to work either. We are left with 1 working bulb which always flickers. It can come on, stay on anywhere between 1 second and 5 minutes and be on solid or flickering like a bloody disco. I don't think it is the switch as when it flickers I have found that if I press the bulb very slightly to the right within it's holder then it corrects the problem for a short while. The bulbs are screw ins and bizarrely they often work better when not screwed all the way in! I may see if the unit has connectors which can be bent out towards the bulb to make a better connection but I don't think they can. Does this sound like the light fitting/unit as opposed to a loose connection? Thanks in advance and I know the easy option is just to replace it but I'm no electrician so if it can be easily fixed great.

Sponsored Links
Yeah. Common problem with ES lampholders, especially the cheaper ones.

With time and heat and constant screwing in and out (ooh err Matron!), the contacts get compressed.

The contacts at the bottom and the side can (with care and the power isolated safely) be manipulated into a better contact position, but ultimately, the unit will need replacing.

The contacts at the bottom and the side can (with care and the power isolated safely) be manipulated into a better contact position, but ultimately, the unit will need replacing.
blank_65x10_T.gif
whssign.gif

Basically, if you find yourself having to fiddle with the contacts in the lampholder(s) you are only postponing the day when you need to replace the light(s).

Start looking for replacement(s).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back