Bathroom spotlights keep blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom has a wooden ceiling with 4 spotlights. Only 1 works all the time. One works intermitant and the other 2 have a race to see who is going to blow the bulb first... With it being in a wooden setting am i right in saying access is via the loft..

How easy would they be to change.?.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
need more info, type of lamps, voltage, insulation around them?

ok..they are on a spring type fitting and just drop down...

I dropped the 1 that has not worked for about 1 yr, got some info off it put it back and its now working ??.

Anyway on the lights it says:

240v e27

also... 1p.20
en 60598

All 4 are lit now... been living here 5 yrs and its the first time..

I may replace them all as it seems straight forward..

Pic of light here..Bare wires???

www.evans1.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

the lamps do not look really suitable for a bathroom, the earth has no sleaving, is there any insulation in the roof space (this causes lamps to over heat)

Sponsored Links
Didnt notice how much room there was but the light is pretty big. It was my wifes mum's house..She had them put in in 1995..

Can you recommend any replacement lights. Also do i have to get the exact same size to fit the hole. And how do i resolve the missing sleeve issue.

evans1 said:
ok..they are on a spring type fitting and just drop down...

I dropped the 1 that has not worked for about 1 yr, got some info off it put it back and its now working ??.
Check how tight the screws are in the choc-block connectors and the light fittings.

While you're at it, to expand on Breezer's answer, buy some more choc-block, some choc-boxes and green & yellow earth sleeving. Cover the bare earth conductors with the sleeving, leaving enough unsleeved at the end to go into a choc-block terminal. You will need to separate the earth wires, but don't be too thorough at straightening the twisted one out, in case it breaks - as long as you can get the sleeving over it, and the end that goes into the choc-block terminal is straight, that'll be fine. Replace the 2-way bits of choc-block with 3-way, (L, N, E) and put them inside the choc-boxes.

Anyway on the lights it says:

240v e27
Rating and type of bulb.

also... 1p.20
I agree with Breezers observation about the suitability of these lights for a bathroom - I wonder if that actually says IP 20? http://www.protectingpeople.co.uk/fire_tech/ip_explained.htm

General family of standards for recessed luminaires - http://www.enec.com/theenec.htm

All 4 are lit now... been living here 5 yrs and its the first time..
:eek:

I may replace them all as it seems straight forward..
Probably not a bad idea - you should be able to get some to fit the existing holes. Check that there is no insulation around them in the loft.

They have screw lampholders?

Then often these connections wear and fail - if your lamps are really tight to screw in, then they need replacing. If the flexes feeding the lampholders are stiff, then replace them, they've got too hot.

As far as fitting is concerned, measure the dia of the holes in the ceiling and make sure the new ones are similar (you can get away with one a little smaller..)

funnily enough we have very similar lampholders in our bathroom (and the same frosted glass too :D) - they take ES bulbs and can be a pain sometimes as the connection will break.

Will take all your ideas on board. I am getting 4 new ones though and sorting out the sleeves.

Cheers guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back