Bathroom strawmit wall, please help!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all. I'm in need of advice on what i should do with my bathroom wall. The grout cracked and water seeped in behind.

I have since taken off the loose tiles off, scrapped off all the old adhesive but have found that my walls are made from strawmit/strawboard. There are large areas of the wall to where i can see the actual straw surface due to scrapping off both the plaster skimmed layer and the cardboard underneath. There is really no plaster left and only a light layer of cardboard covering patches of a 2m x 1m (max) area of wall.

The water damage has actually seeped into the wall and caused mold to penetrate the straw mainly around the bottom surface where the wall meets the bath lip.

This strawmit wall actually seperates the bathroom and boxroom on the otherside. The wall is about 5 inches thick seperating the two rooms.

The tiles i am using are 650mm lenght x 250mm width x 8mm thick.

I've bought 'Norcros Adhesives - Tile to shower. High bond strength professional wall tile adhesive' for retiling and also Norcros white grout.

What would you suggest i do regarding this? I'd prefer to try salvage the wall rather than knock it down and build a new one due to the tiles that are already fitted above the exposed area if you can advise me on what i should do?

Sponsored Links
I would just bite the bulllit and rip it down and replace with a stud wall
You have water damage to the wall and mould this will spread even more..

Sorry mate..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back