Bathroom tiling issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I tiled my bathroom wall around April 2012. Since then the grout has started to crack between my large tiles, with the bottom edge tile coming out. Having pulled the tile out, the wall was damp so i decided to dry it out.

Since then i looked up about regrouting the wall so set about removing some of the old grout. Having removed grout next to the tile that came out, the neighbouring tile has then came out to reveal more damp wall and some mold.

I scrapped away the ruined adhesive+mold which has taken the top layer of my wall off. My homes inner walls is built of what i can only describe as compacted straw. My building was constructed in the 70's as part of a council area so i don't know if anyone has any idea what kind of walls i have and whether i'd be able to tile back over it again if anyone has any experience with my type of walls?

If i decided to tile back over and regrout, is there anything i could do to protect my bathroom wall further? Could i cover both the tiles and grout on my walls with some sort of coating (laminate? lol :) ) to completely protect from further water damage?

I don't think taking all the tiles down and removing the wall is an option for me as my electrical box happens to be on the other side of the wall in the cupboard next to the bathroom. I'm thinking i might be best removing all the tiles, letting the wall dry out and then retile/regrout and then add some further protection in the form of some sort of see through coating if anyone can advise me as cash is very tight for me?

Also what wall adhesive/grout would you recommend i use? I was previously given BASF PCI grout but have since picked up a small tub Homebase own brand on the idea i was going to do a touchup job?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the wall construction could be a cob wall.

Your best option maybe to dry line the walls with plasterboard, use a waterproof tanking kit and tile over that.

I am sure someone with more experience of this type of wall will know better!

I scrapped away the ruined adhesive+mold which has taken the top layer of my wall off. My homes inner walls is built of what i can only describe as compacted straw. My building was constructed in the 70's

There was a popular style of construction in the late 70's early 80's where they used compacted straw insulation in vacuum sealed plastic. You should find that you have a timber frame with plasterboard lining. The straw is the old equivalent of modern foamboard or rockwool sound proofing. My BiL is a structural engineer and I remember him going ape at the time over this material. What happens is that an electrical socket is then cut into the wall and it breaks the plastic membrane. Damp gets in and it rots the straw and will ultimately lead to wet rot.

I'm sorry to say that you may be looking at removing the tiles, taking out the mouldy straw and refilling with rockwool before relining and retiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back